What's new

humidity issue

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I was having the same issue as Josh, So I did put in a lil KL in a glass bowl(cleaned KL, Boy was that a bitch) Mine was up to 80&#37; and now back down to 68%, in a day 1/2............Thanks guys (BTW I was going to take it out and see if it goes back up).....

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Good suggestions all. It does sound like you need to dry the beads out a little. They may be close to saturation and at that point they can't absorb as fast as you need.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue... 65&#37; beads but 70-71 RH in the coolerdor. Drying the beads with a hairdryer solved the problem, as suggested above. I discovered in my situation very little water is needed. I guess I added more than needed when I got the beads, though I did follow the directions. I now add water one spritz at a time (very infrequently) and do not add directly to the beads.

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
well...just to be sure, I left the hygro in the test-kit-baggie-thingy for a few days, and low and behold, it got up to 78-79&#37; RH (the boveda kit tests at 75%)

so I guess part of my problem is my hygro needs to be re-calibrated...now if I can only remember how to do that. I think you press a button, turn a know, press a button again? :dunno:

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
...now if I can only remember how to do that. I think you press a button, turn a know, press a button again? :dunno:
This may help.

1. Place the hygrometer in the calibration kit or in a Ziplock with a salt sample.

2. After 24-36 hours read the hygrometer and determine the inaccuracy if any. For this example we will say it displays 70% and the test standard is 75%, this tells us the hygrometer is displaying 5% low.

3. Remove the hygrometer from the bag.

4. Turn the setting knob (the large round knob) 5 clicks clockwise. Very IMPORTANT, while turning the knob the display will NOT change in conjunction with the number of clicks. The display may move but that is just due to the hygrometer reading and adjusting for the room rh that you are in. Turning the adjustment knob will NOT affect the display reading.

5. After turning the adjustment knob press the reset button (the small recessed button on the front of the hygrometer). This resets the hygrometer for the inaccuracy that you have. Pressing this button will not make the display change.

6. Return the hygrometer to the calibration kit or the ziplock.

7. Let stand for 24-36 hours and check the accuracy of the hygrometer.

8. If it is still off by a little repeat the above steps.

Give this a try.

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
This may help.

1. Place the hygrometer in the calibration kit or in a Ziplock with a salt sample.

2. After 24-36 hours read the hygrometer and determine the inaccuracy if any. For this example we will say it displays 70% and the test standard is 75%, this tells us the hygrometer is displaying 5% low.

3. Remove the hygrometer from the bag.

4. Turn the setting knob (the large round knob) 5 clicks clockwise. Very IMPORTANT, while turning the knob the display will NOT change in conjunction with the number of clicks. The display may move but that is just due to the hygrometer reading and adjusting for the room rh that you are in. Turning the adjustment knob will NOT affect the display reading.

5. After turning the adjustment knob press the reset button (the small recessed button on the front of the hygrometer). This resets the hygrometer for the inaccuracy that you have. Pressing this button will not make the display change.

6. Return the hygrometer to the calibration kit or the ziplock.

7. Let stand for 24-36 hours and check the accuracy of the hygrometer.

8. If it is still off by a little repeat the above steps.

Give this a try.

awesome...exactly what I was looking for :thumbsup:

thanks bro...quick stupid question, clockwise adjust the hygro UP and counterclockwise goes down correct? is this universal or sepcific to my particular model?

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Yep.....:yes:

....of course I could really mess with you and say it's the other way. :hysterica

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just put about 20 new sticks and the rh has gone above 70% is ok to dry out the beads? My humis are in basement so it is already cool and somewhat humid.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Let everything sit for awhile, most cigars are over humified when you get them and will raise the RH. If the beads are not saturated they will slowly remove/absorb the extra humidity. If the RH doesn't go down after several days then I would dry the beads.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just trying to lower it a few points just put a quarter on the edge of your humi and close it creating a small gap until you get where you need. Fast RH&#37; swings can really damage your wrappers.