What's new

humidor cooling?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Living in the southern part of the states, summertime can be brutal. I noticed this morning my desktop humidor was getting a little too toasty at 75° with 68% humidity.

It’s stored in a room that is dark 95% of the time with no direct sunlight and a window a/c cranked down to 68°.

I threw a towel over it and placed a freezer pack on. Last I looked it was 65% humidity and 70°.

Are there any solutions to this other than what I’m doing?

Also, how does one control temp on a travel humidor when you’re on the road?

Cigar newby

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I ended up buying a used wine fridge for $100 to keep my tupperdors in. My RH was fine, but the temps would regularly hit 80, so I needed to do something fast to keep them from getting ruined.

In my travel humi, I don't worry about temp too much because those sticks are getting smoked within the next week or so on my vacation/trip, but that's just me.

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Well if I were you I would buy a igloo 36 Qt Cooler or larger as you will get the bug and start buying more and more cigars :LOL: It's not pretty like a desk top but the reason for the cooler is the insulation it hold humidity like nothing else and will keep the temp under control. (if it gets crazy hot you can throw in a ice pack) You can just put the desktop right inside till you start buying full boxes :ROFLMAO:

As far a travel humi the Hefador 15 you got has a airtight seal, so a small boveda 65% pack inside would be great. Just keep it out of the sun as much as possible. Cigars are more resilient than most people thank they are!!!

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
For my coolers I am lucky because I store them in a section of my basement that stays between 61 and 65, pretty much year round.

For travelling, I have an insulated lunch box. This is just the right size for a 15 count travel humidor and an ice pack. I also have a couple of pieces of soft foam that I keep between the ice pack and the cigars to keep them from getting too cold. This is not 100% foolproof but does a pretty good job of keeping them from overheating in a hot car when I am out of the car and interacting with my customers. When I am driving, the A/C is on so they are not getting overheated then.

For airplane travel, I bring the travel humidor in my carry-on so it is temperature controlled when I am on the plane. When I am out for the day on sales calls, I leave the cigars in my hotel room and only bring 2-3 with me in a case which is on my person and temperature controlled for the most part. (or at least not sitting in the hot car)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
101   0   0
Basement or closet storage on the floor will help with temps. The only reason I worry about temp is because mold has a specific environment that it likes hot and wet as long as the rh is in check it isn't really a problem you have to worry about. But rh likes to rise with the temps as well. Just some points to think about