What's new

Humidor Help

JP8

USAF Retired
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Brothers, I'm a newb in need of some advice on my humidor. I bought a 100 count humidor, seasoned it, and calibrated the analog hygrometer. I also purchased a jar of crystal gel for the bottom of the humi. I have been having fluctuations from 65% to 75%. I in turn purchsed another jar of gel for the top tray and removed the stock humidifier. I just did this yesterday so this morning my hygro was reading at 69%. While I beleive the stock humidifier may have been my problem, I wonder if temperature fluctuations may have had a part as well. Any thoughts?

BTW, I have a digital hygro on the way.

Dan

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes, the fluctuation in your humidity levels is due to the fluctuation in your tempretures (hence the use of the term relative). :)

Toss the humidifer and the gel tubs, get humidity beads and you shall be fine. I'd also try to limit the fluctuation in tempreture to keep things as stable as possible. Try a room in the middle of the house or the basement. I keep my humidors in the living room where the AC is on most of the time.

Hope this helps

JP8

USAF Retired
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Thanks for the reply. There's not much I can do about the temperature. I am in the same climate you are but I'm in a dorm on a military base. The dorm is a metal building but it does have an a/c which runs 24/7. Not to mention, I have a roommate so my space and storage locations are limited.

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I used to have this problem and still sometimes suffer from some fluctuation but the beads regulate the micro environment in no time. There are many options give either heartfelt industries or the puckifier. I have both products and they work great

JP8

USAF Retired
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I just looked at Heartfelt Industries web page. I'm interested but have no idea what type I should get. Would one rectangle unit be sufficient or would i need two round units (1 for top 1 for bottom)?

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The site has a calculator where you plot down the dimensions of your humidor and it will help you with the quantity.
Regarding the type of container, in my big humi I have 2 round units (1 attached to the lid/ the other attached to the tray) it works like a charm

JP8

USAF Retired
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I just ordered two round units from Heartfelt Inc. I was extremely pleased to find out they provide free shipping to military personnel. Much appreciated!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yep! lots of reading on this for sure. Temps are playing with you for sure and you definitely need digital which also needs to be calibrated just to see where your +/- is, you know? I would just get some beads and make some containers with holes in them to let the humidity out. I say this because with whatever beads you purchase you know exactly where you humidity should be based on what your hygro is reading.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the beads. have them in all my humi's. And Dave from Heartfelt is an awesome guy (he even posts/reads here too!)