What's new

Humidor in need of help.

6oh

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

Have a question for you all, and am looking for assistance with a humidor needing some fix me ups.

The humidor is several years old, but never really put through much wear and tear. Not sure what the wood used in it, but was about $200-250 US form a local cigar shop. Nevertheless, now trying to store freshly aqcuired cigars, i've tryed hydrating the wood, and notice 2 bottom corners have cracked a bit and have no longer a tight seal. Just seems the corners on the outside of the box are coming apart.

Is there a type of humidor-safe filler or compound that can be used to tighten the cracks?

Thanks for your help.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Welcome to BOTL.

There are guys on here that know way more about woodworking than me, I'll let them try to answer your question about a wood filler that you can use.

I may have misunderstood your post, but you mentioned hydrating the wood. I hope you did not wipe down the wood to season the humidor. This can warp the wood, and in extreme cases crack the wood. The best way to season a humidor is to take a shot glass or two, fill them with distilled water, and let them sit in the humidor for a couple weeks. Slow and steady is the best way to season your humidor.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
6oh, I'm in the same boat as Kevin in that I'm not really a woodworker, I'll have to leave that part to others, but I do have one suggestion/request. Can you take a picture of what you are talking about and post it here? Would go a long way to making sure whatever suggestions you get are truly targeted at your need. Good luck!

Beyond that, my one suggestion would be silicone. I can't imagine that having any ill effects, but again, without seeing what we are talking about I can't be sure.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd try to reglue the joints. You'll need a water proof wood glue. Apply this to the cracks with a toothpick or glue syringe, then a use an air compressor or a can of compressed air (like they use to clean electroics) to force the glue into the joints. Then clamp it up and let her dry. If that fails, you can make a filler from saw dust and wood glue.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Reglueing is a good idea and I like the idea of air to force the glue deeper into the joint, however waterproof glue is not needed by any means. Most of us keep our cigars somewhere between 70-65% RH, by no means is this considered overly moist. Hell, most of us have higher RH's in our homes in the summertime and I know my furniture isn't made with waterproof glue!

As far as the silicone, that may be plausible, just be sure that there's no odor with it. Basically any woodfiller will be fine, just be sure that it's good and dry before you try to reseason that humidor or fill it with good smokes.