What's new

Humidor leaking after being fine for 9 months

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
As the title says, I bought a 150ct humidor anout a year ago, and for the first 9 months it held perfect rh with only 3 65% 60gr bovedas and average of 75 to 100 cigars.

Now, since adding a 65% 320gr bovada and only 2 of the 60gr ones on top of the tray, it will hold steady at only 60%.

Nothing else has changed, and my bovedas are nice and plump.

I even tried reseasoning the humidor about 3 days ago and it's back down to 60% already.

Anyone have a previously good sealing humidor develop a bad seal all of a sudden after such a relatively short periodof time?

Its the only cause I can think of since i have plenty of bovedas for the number of cigars.

I will say that the outside humidity in the room is between 10 and 20% maximum, but it holds a steady 60% and I would think a bad leak would make the rh even lower than 60% and my bovedas would show signs of being taxed and dehydrating, but they don't at all.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Did you change all the Bovedas or just remove one 60 gr and add a 320 gr? Seems like the problem developed when you added the 320 gr Boveda so why not remove it and see what happens. Quite possible the new ones are not set properly.

10 - 20 % humidity in the room is pretty rough. Can you wrap the humidor in ziplocks or plastic wrap for a while and see it that helps steady things. If it does either the humidor is leaking or there is too much a difference between the environment inside the humidor and your room.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you change all the Bovedas or just remove one 60 gr and add a 320 gr? Seems like the problem developed when you added the 320 gr Boveda so why not remove it and see what happens. Quite possible the new ones are not set properly.

10 - 20 % humidity in the room is pretty rough. Can you wrap the humidor in ziplocks or plastic wrap for a while and see it that helps steady things. If it does either the humidor is leaking or there is too much a difference between the environment inside the humidor and your room.
All 3 bovedas were new from Christmas.

I haven't tried removing the 320gr to see what happens. Good idea, I'll give it a try.

Don't really have anyway to wrap the humidor unfortunately.

I know that the rh difference between it and the room is pretty dramatic, but it was fine in spite of it before about Christmas.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All 3 bovedas were new from Christmas.

I haven't tried removing the 320gr to see what happens. Good idea, I'll give it a try.

Don't really have anyway to wrap the humidor unfortunately.

I know that the rh difference between it and the room is pretty dramatic, but it was fine in spite of it before about Christmas.

As Adamjoshua said 60 to 65 isn't a big difference. If you changed all three Bovedas could be any or none of them that are off. The only way I know to find out if your humidor is leaking is to put it in a sealed environment. If you don't want to wrap it in Saranwrap for a week or so then find a weather proof Tupperdor and keep it in there to see if you stabilize where you want to be

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I have found this to be very common with my wood humidors in the wintertime. It only happens in my wood humidors though and not in my coolers, which have a better seal so they are not prone to “breathe” like the wooden ones.

I believe there are 2 things that happen this time of year that contribute to it, lower humidity inside my house (due to my furnace running) and lower temperatures in the storage room where I keep my cigars. Typically my RH will run 4-7 points lower than the RH of the Bovedas I am using. I have just come to accept it and a couple of years ago I switched over to 69% Bovedas. This typically gives me 63-65% readings on my hygrometers in those humidors.

In the end, the real test is how they smoke and I have found that keeping them a little more on the dryer side gives me more flavor and far fewer burn issues.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have found this to be very common with my wood humidors in the wintertime. It only happens in my wood humidors though and not in my coolers, which have a better seal so they are not prone to “breathe” like the wooden ones.

I believe there are 2 things that happen this time of year that contribute to it, lower humidity inside my house (due to my furnace running) and lower temperatures in the storage room where I keep my cigars. Typically my RH will run 4-7 points lower than the RH of the Bovedas I am using. I have just come to accept it and a couple of years ago I switched over to 69% Bovedas. This typically gives me 63-65% readings on my hygrometers in those humidors.

In the end, the real test is how they smoke and I have found that keeping them a little more on the dryer side gives me more flavor and far fewer burn issues.
The temperature stays at 68 degrees consistantly in my room, so dont think that's affecting it, but the humidity never gets above 20% regardless of the season.

Will try testing the bovedas in my tupperdoor to see if any of them are off and causing the problem. Never heard of anyone getting a bad boveda so had never thought of it being a possible cause

My tupperdoor stays at 65% steadily regardless of outside conditions.

At 60% they smoke just fine luckily. Occasionally have a wrapper crack or peel, but it don't think that's a humidity problem. Have had it happen at higher RH before too

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The temperature stays at 68 degrees consistantly in my room, so dont think that's affecting it, but the humidity never gets above 20% regardless of the season.

Will try testing the bovedas in my tupperdoor to see if any of them are off and causing the problem. Never heard of anyone getting a bad boveda so had never thought of it being a possible cause

My tupperdoor stays at 65% steadily regardless of outside conditions.

At 60% they smoke just fine luckily. Occasionally have a wrapper crack or peel, but it don't think that's a humidity problem. Have had it happen at higher RH before too
You'd be that one guy that got the bad Boveda pack out of millions lol. Joking... Im guessing its a nice some sort of vaneer wood 150ct himi? I had the same problem, I transferred to a tuppedore, smashed the humidore and kept all the cedar:) hope that helps.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'd be that one guy that got the bad Boveda pack out of millions lol. Joking... Im guessing its a nice some sort of vaneer wood 150ct himi? I had the same problem, I transferred to a tuppedore, smashed the humidore and kept all the cedar:) hope that helps.
Pretty good guess,lol. It does smell like Spanish Cedar though

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Rupe is dead on the money with this. Significant humidity swings can happen in the winter with a central heat system running.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep my heat turned of and it stays a pretty steady 68 degrees.

I did notice that my tupperdoor is reading low now that It started snowing, but the rooms humidity is still the same as earlier when my tupperdoor was reading 64%.

Very interesting. Wonder if changes in barometric pressure is the cause

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tupperdoor is usually a steady 65%, while me small, cheap humidor for nc's varies a lot and my big, mor expensive humidor is a steady 60% now since adding the 320gr boveda.

Cigars from all 3 seem to smoke just fine without any issues, so i really don't worry about it much, was just curious why the one with 3 bovedas started reading lower

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
put it all back as it was and see what happens.
I plan to put it back to the 3, 60gr packs like it was and put the 320gr one into my tupperdoor to test it today too.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Much appreciated as I had never thought of or even heard of, getting a bad Boveda pack.

I still suspect that the humidor just coincidentally developed a bad seal, as after reseasoning, it started at 85% and was back to 60% within 3 days, which seems awfully fast.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, to update, i tested out the bovedas in my tupperdoor, and they were dead on at 65%.

Just got a 320 gram, 72% boveda and a 4 pack of 60 gram 72%. And for a 150 count humidor with only 47 cigars in it, there is the 320gr and 2 60gr in it and there was no change at all in humidity. Still staying between 57% and 60%.

Same deal with my 50 count humidor with only 13 Cigars and 2 of the 60 gram packs.

Neither humidor is particularly old, one is about 1 year and the other 3 months. Both held humidity just fine until recently.

I'm at a loss.

May just have to switch to all tupperdoors