What's new

Humidor or Coolidor?

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
We keep our house at 70 degrees, so the cooler holds about that temp, temp may change 1-2 degrees, right now cooler but is at 69 degrees and 63% RH, thermostat is at 70. Most members on here use Bovedas, But I use kitty litter primarily. The biggest advantage is it is completely trouble free, I have added distilled water once since I put it together a couple of years ago. I have about 300 cigars in mine. I have two cedar boxes and two cedar shelves, I switched to plastic baskets the last time i needed more containers from the dollar store. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer. I have a 52 quart Coleman cooler.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Coolers - kitty litter - I move quite often. They don't look fancy or luxurious or even like they belong in the living room, but very practical, durable, and moveable.

One day when I'm settled in somewhere I'll look at other storage options (wineador cabinet walk-in).

I've got quite a few wooden humidors, what I dislike about humidors is you have to tend to them too often addressing humidity. Cooler and kitty litter a couple years without even thinking about it. Im changing hygrometer batteries more often than I need to check the humidity.

Transmitted via my fairly new Samsung Galaxy S8+ on Korea's LG Uplus Mobile Network using Tapatalk App Installed & Auto-updated From Google Play Store

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody has their own opinion. Here's mine.

When I first got into cigars I bought a 250 count wood humidor that got filled up in less than a month. In that month I browsed several online forums and was turned on to coolerdors. I already had 3 coolers in the basement so I bought a pound of HF beads and a mesh drawstring bag. Instant coolerdor. When my collection expanded I got another pound and I now have 2 coolers and a wood humidor. The wood humi sits as a piece of furniture in the living room. I share those sticks with friends that come over. The GOOD sticks remain hidden in the coolerdor in the basement. The wood humi requires more work but maintains humidity. The coolers require virtually no maintenance. In the summertime when the house gets warm I move the humis to the basement where the temp is more stable. If I had it to do over I wouldn't change a thing. Every cigar smoker should have a presentation humidor IMHO.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
It really depends on if you control the temp and humidity in your home.
I used a cooler for a while, but got tired of trying to find what I was looking for. Having to pull most of the boxes out looking for a Cigar sucked. And then having to load them all back in, sucked. I ended up with a wineador with sliding wooden shelves. I can easily access my cigars easily. I use a combo of kitty litter and beads. It isn't even plugged in. RH stays rock solid and temp also stays at 72-73f. We keep our house at 73f year round.
Did I mention how much it sucked finding cigars out of a cooler?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on if you control the temp and humidity in your home.
I used a cooler for a while, but got tired of trying to find what I was looking for. Having to pull most of the boxes out looking for a Cigar sucked. And then having to load them all back in, sucked. I ended up with a wineador with sliding wooden shelves. I can easily access my cigars easily. I use a combo of kitty litter and beads. It isn't even plugged in. RH stays rock solid and temp also stays at 72-73f. We keep our house at 73f year round.
Did I mention how much it sucked finding cigars out of a cooler?
I store my coolerdor cigars in plastic trays from Walmart, separated by strips of Spanish cedar. I use the trays to organize sticks that are similar and to improve air circulation. I can grub my way through the entire collection in short order.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I store my coolerdor cigars in plastic trays from Walmart, separated by strips of Spanish cedar. I use the trays to organize sticks that are similar and to improve air circulation. I can grub my way through the entire collection in short order.
Whatever works out for ya. Sounds like you planned well.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Is all of the above an option? I have a few desktop humidors ranging from 50-150 ct, I have a 120 qt Coolidor (I use a computer fan inside on a timer to move air around) and have a winador and a small cabinet in the works. All are good to store cigars. As my cabinet and winador are currently in the works I won't speak on them except I can't wait till they are up and running. As for the humidor and Coolidor. I find my cigars taste slightly better out of the humidor vs the coolidor but not by a whole lot. The Coolidor is far easier to Humidity regulated. It's largely hands off imo (I check mine maybe once a week in the winter, once every couple weeks during the other 9 months.

But, if money wasn't an issue I absolutely, hands down, no questions asked would have an Aristocrat... BUT you could also have probably 2-3 Coolidors and buy the boxes of cigars to fill them for the price you'll pay for an Aristocrat so there in lies the problem. If your a little newer to cigars go with a Coolidor and spend the rest of the $ on cigars. But, having a good desktop humidor as well is always a good idea. So both.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk