What's new

Humidor Pic

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
G'morning Gents,

I'm still new around this forum but after introducing myself in the other section, I figured it's time to share my humidor:

I only recently got into regular cigar smoking so I finally picked up a humidor and it made a nice addition to my wine/liquor cabinet. I also had my 23rd birthday over the weekend so my fiancée treated me with a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 and I have a dozen various Perdomos arriving in the mail today :cbig:

EDIT 2: Finally have enough posts so I embedded the pic

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Nice setup (wine and smokes) I do notice that your wine bottles appear to be cork up instead of cork down...

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Are you sure you're putting the appropriate tags on the pic? See also this thread...

[--URL removed because I can't post yet--]

Dan
yeah, I just don't have enough posts yet to attached any photos. Soon as I do I'll add my humidor (and new smokes) to the Humidor Thread too though!

Nice setup (wine and smokes) I do notice that your wine bottles appear to be cork up instead of cork down...
Ha, you're right. My girl always makes me keep them cork down but I totally forgot to put them back that way after I rearranged the whole cabinet for my smokes.

PS: are there any scotch drinkers out there?

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Most definitely, quite a few on the board. Just head over to the Libations sub-forum.
Good to know! I will certainly make my way there next. I got hooked on Rusty Nails a while back and I'm working my way into developing a taste for the many different types of scotch

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a very nice looking space for your cigars, wine, and spirits. I just arrived at botl.org myself but am already enjoying the community. Have fun!

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
You have a very nice looking space for your cigars, wine, and spirits. I just arrived at botl.org myself but am already enjoying the community. Have fun!
Thanks and welcome fellow BOTL! So far everyone seems very eager to help and I hope this really gets me to start expanding my cigar experiences:guitar:

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Lets get a peak inside the humidor.

Not a wine drinker, but whats the benefit to cork up/down.
Soon as my shipment arrives today I'll get a some shots of the sticks. As for the cork-down storage, I believe it really only applies to wine with real corks (opposed to those foam corks and screw tops). If the cork dries out it can allow air to get inside the wine and cause problems. However, in my house wine rarely makes it longer than 48 hours.... :drool:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon as my shipment arrives today I'll get a some shots of the sticks. As for the cork-down storage, I believe it really only applies to wine with real corks (opposed to those foam corks and screw tops). If the cork dries out it can allow air to get inside the wine and cause problems. However, in my house wine rarely makes it longer than 48 hours.... :drool:
Yes. Real cork needs to be in the presence of moisture to remain expanded, creating a seal on the wine bottle. Dry cork shrinks and crumbles. The fill levels in wine bottles aged even under normal conditions will actually decrease up to 1/2 inch per decade of storage simply because of very slow evaporation. The wine in bottles with dried corks will evaporate faster and cause the wine to age too quickly, oxidize, and go bad. Bottles with synthetic corks will age the same upright or horizontal. I prefer to store my wine to be aged at 55 degrees and 60 - 70% humidity.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I prefer to store my wine to be aged at 55 degrees and 60 - 70% humidity.
You know, I honestly never even thought about maintaining a humidity level for wine. I didn't start paying attention to humidity until I started getting into cigars. Does it have as dramatic effect for wine?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You know, I honestly never even thought about maintaining a humidity level for wine. I didn't start paying attention to humidity until I started getting into cigars. Does it have as dramatic effect for wine?
I'm not a wine expert but the humidity helps the cork stay moist and prevents it from cracking. As far as affecting the flavor and aging of the wine, I'm not sure but don't think so.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humidity will not affect the aging process of wine so long as the seal (technically near-seal) is not compromised. Temperature, on the other hand, will. Honestly, unless you're planning on storing pricey wine for 5+ years I would store bottles on their side and wouldn't worry about humidity. I apologize for steering the discussion toward wine.