What's new

Humidor Pics! Lets see em!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo hoo! New drawers and shelves, seasoned and ready to go!

Before:
Great looking wine cooler. Is the Vinotemp 34 bottle TS? If so how are the temps and RH holding for you? I believe this is a compressor based wine cooler and have heard they are hard to maintain the RH. Thanks!

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Great looking wine cooler. Is the Vinotemp 34 bottle TS? If so how are the temps and RH holding for you? I believe this is a compressor based wine cooler and have heard they are hard to maintain the RH. Thanks!
Thanks! I like the look with the drawers in.

It is a 35 bottle TS... temps hold pretty solid (fluctuate between 65 and 68... at 68 it seems to kick in).

It is a compressor based... there is much debate on compressor versus thermo, and while thermo is better, compressor works just fine.

First, I keep it in an airconditioned room out of the path of sunlight through a window, so even in the summer it doesn't have to run much.

Second, while not shown in the photos, there is a glass top for each of the drawers. This makes each drawer work like a "mini-humi" inside the larger humi. The swings in the open space really aren't that large (I've got probably around 2lbs of crystals so the overkill probably helps). Still, by having a solid bottom and glass top on the drawers, it keeps the area inside the drawers much more stable (that statement comes from Chuck's work... not my own experience as these are new to me). The boxes maintain their own humidity just fine.

That aside, even before the drawers and shelves were in, it stays within a very reasonable range... 65% to 70%ish - usually pretty steady at 68%

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for ALL of the info orangedog. I would be keeping the unit in an ac controlled room as well, and would def be away from direct sunlight. I'm always thought it would not be too hard to keep the temps/RH to where I want them in the summer. I have a 16 bottle cooler now, and I rarely have to turn it on at all during the summer, and during the winter, it's never on. I always been able to keep the temps around the 65-68 degree range which is perfect, and the RH has always been in the 64-66% range. Based on what I've seen in my house with the existing wine cooler, and what you are telling me, I can get away with the compressor based model.

My biggest reason is I need the space of a 32-34 bottle wine cooler. The biggest thermal-electric wine cooler I can find is a 28 and I needed something just a little bit bigger. I've looked over the Vinotemp 34 bottle you have numerous times and said this is perfect for what I need, but was a little worried about the compressor based cooling.

Thanks again for your info and help.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Thank you for ALL of the info orangedog. I would be keeping the unit in an ac controlled room as well, and would def be away from direct sunlight. I'm always thought it would not be too hard to keep the temps/RH to where I want them in the summer. I have a 16 bottle cooler now, and I rarely have to turn it on at all during the summer, and during the winter, it's never on. I always been able to keep the temps around the 65-68 degree range which is perfect, and the RH has always been in the 64-66% range. Based on what I've seen in my house with the existing wine cooler, and what you are telling me, I can get away with the compressor based model.

My biggest reason is I need the space of a 32-34 bottle wine cooler. The biggest thermal-electric wine cooler I can find is a 28 and I needed something just a little bit bigger. I've looked over the Vinotemp 34 bottle you have numerous times and said this is perfect for what I need, but was a little worried about the compressor based cooling.

glad I could help. if you get this unit or one similar, you're welcome to drop me a PM. I also made it a close system and looped some tubing from the drain hole back into the beads, so any condensation gets routed back into the "humidification system", meaning I need to add water less frequently and I don't have to worry about humidity escaping. it is a similar concept to what people do with the thermos when they put a ramp in to collect the condensation, but a bit different execution due to the type of unit.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3

I used a compressor model for several years with no issues. I used an External TEmp Controller to prevent it from running too often.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
How's that working out for you? I'm currently looking at the same one. If you don't mind, can you please measure the dimensions of the drawers?

Thanks
Working out great, the main reason that i got it was so i didn't have to keep digging to find smokes.

measurements are 9.5" x 7.5" x 1.75" storage space dimensions.