What's new

Humidor Purchase?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everybody had a nice holiday!

I got some cash for Christmas and am considering buying a nice humidor. I’m a little torn on whether or not the purchase is necessary with my current situation and was hoping to get some opinions.

I currently store my cigars in a tupperware with a Boveda pack. I never buy cigars in bulk. I might keep anywhere from 5-30 cigars at a time depending on how much I’m smoking.

I live in Nothern California and the tempurature varies greatly throughout the year. At my house, we dont have central AC or heating. My cigars are stored at my house in the winter, then moved to a family member’s house with central AC in the spring and summer. It’s a pain but it’s the only way to achieve the temp and RH I like.

I like the idea of humidors as I feel like they’re the better way to store cigars, especially after hearing good reports from those that own them. Then again, they probably have more stable temperatures in the places where their cigars are stored. Being that I Iive in a home where temps are unstable, do you think a nice humidor is worth the money?

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't really have an answer as I don't have a 'nice' humidor but do have a question. How long have you been dabbling in this hobby? More importantly, how do you have the self control to only have 5-30 cigars on hand at any given time? You are a better man than me(y) I am interested to see what other members have to say about a nice humidor. I personally have my eye on a wine fridge type but I am waiting to see what a good 'stock on hand' number ends up being for me. 5-30...…..that train left a while ago...lol.

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I think that although they look great, and i have a wood humi myself, there are just plain better options out there... Dated technology if you will. There's better options for safely storing cigars. But There's definitely something... Nostalgic about openimg the lid and having that smell slap you across the face!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I would reccomend a small wine refrigerator. They can be found used at letgo ( an online garage sale) at very reasonable prices. Just make sure it is a thermoelectric cooled unit. Plug the drain hole, add several Boveda, fill with cigars. Done!
Desktops look great, smell wonderful, and are difficult to keep below 70 degrees.
@KookaRocha has a small unit up for sale.
You could use the cash saved to buy more cigars.
Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Remember that temperature swings are also important. Not sure what your situation in but stable is always best. You may consider putting that tupperdor in an ice chest. If you can swing a NewAir or other environmental controlled storage you'll be better off in the long run but that can be hard to justify for a couple of dozen cigars. What kind of temperatures are we talking about? Daily highs and daily lows as measured where you keep your cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good wood humidor is constructed as a box inside a box. The external wood box made out of some sort of wood product and a Spanish Cedar internal box at 1/8th” to 1/4” thick. Most of the humidor boxes you see advertised have only a very thin veneer of Spanish Cedar on the inside. Even humidors costing several $100 may only use the Spanish Cedar veneer. You can use Craigslist to see if you can snag a quality wood humidor that is properly constructed. So my wood humidor is my display humidor. For my long term and bulk storage I use Tupperware.

If I were to do it again I would get a wineador. It will cost about as much as a quality wood box humidor and provide more storage space for the money.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

I’ve tried a wine fridge before and it was a disaster. The temp inside never stayed steady and my RH was all over the place.

I looked into the New Air. I didn’t see any models that heat- only cool- and the reviews are concerning to me.

I think I’ll probably hold off on any cigar storage purchases for now until I start storing more cigars or move somewhere with a more consistent indoor temperature.

Thanks guys!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a small humidor. Like 10-15 small. It is more of just a show piece so to speak, something nice to have. I keep some smokes in there that I’ll share at parties and other events. The rest of my hot mess is kept in Boveda bags.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Boveda bags, too. Mostly short term storage. They work well. Nothing wrong using the small wood humidor to keep some sticks handy.