What's new

Humidor questions

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
hello all:

I usually just lurk, but lately I have noticed that my humidor doesnt have the cedar smell that it once had. I have a lucky 7 that I purchased from Thompson about 3 or 4 years ago, and it just seems to smell more of earthy cigars now. I have a combo of Nic, Dom and ISoms in the box and it is stored at 65degrees with 65-70 rh. I was wondering if there was a way to revive the cedar smell as it used to impart that flavor into the cigars. Before I buy something new I wondered if there is something I can do to revive this box. I have it stocked full as well. Each drawer is full. and I rotate them once a week. I am at a loss I guess, Everything seems kind of bitter. I smoked both a DCM robusto and a HEmi shortstory and they didnt have their usual tastiness? Any ideas would be appreciated.

TIA
N.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
My humidors smell like cigars and thats how I like them. I am not sure why you would want to add a scent to the box. If you are set on it, listen to banger and try some cedar pieces, rotating them out for new ones when needed.

The flavor problems you are having with your sticks may just be your palate also, the cedar smell is not making your cigars better.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
My humidors smell like cigars and thats how I like them. I am not sure why you would want to add a scent to the box. If you are set on it, listen to banger and try some cedar pieces, rotating them out for new ones when needed.

The flavor problems you are having with your sticks may just be your palate also, the cedar smell is not making your cigars better.
What he said, word for word.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thanks for the quick replies. The pallette thing could be,but when I have bought the sticks at the B&M, They taste differently. It makes me wonder if they are overhumidifed. I might try dry boxing, I will see what that does.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Most B&M's hold their cigars at a higher RH than most here smoke. "Overhumdified", to some degree, is a personal preference issue.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Even the best B&M's have difficulty at times in keeping their Humi's consistent.

If your cigars go out often while smoking, and/or have enlarged or cracked feet, then you may have YOUR humi overhumidified!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
After much thinking, I went home and took the drawers out of my humidor, and lightly wiped down the inside, and then I also added some cedar strips throughout the 6 drawers, and in the top I placed an oustfan to try and circulate the air. This morning I was greeted with the familiar smell of Sweet cedar accomponied by the already present smell of earth. I am going to run this system for a while, and then dry box my smokes before I enjoy them. I will see how this plays out, and let you all know

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well It looks like, the RH is a little high. I did an experiment and took some of the sticks out. (a Af short story and a VSG enchantment) The short story was almost back to what I remembered them like. I will smoke the enchantment and report back on that. I think letting the cigar "decompress" or stabilize outside of the storage element is what was needed.