What's new

Humidor Smell Like Glue / Chemical

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Ok, I searched for this topic and found a few threads, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I bought a new humidor from Cbid and am in the process of seasoning it. However, when I opened it to rehydrate the humidifier, I noticed a strong glue or chemical smell. No cedar or woody smell at all. I didn't notice this smell at first.

Is baking soda the best way to get rid of this? I don't really want to leave the thing open to air out as its in the middle of seasoning and I don't want to start over. Of course I'll do that if its the only way.

Any thoughts?

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
hmm. that is odd.. um I would say a little dry baking soda, not much. Give it some time and see if it improves all.. other than that I really dont know.. let me think a little

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You don't have much choice. Sounds like a newly constructed humi and the glue might still be gassing off. I'd hate to see you place your cigars in there which might affect the bouquet fo the cigars. If it were me, I'd air it out for a while, let the glue completely dry or gas off and then re-season. No sense in rushing this IMO.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I agree with Shane. Airing it out is likely the only way to get rid of the smell...and that will probably take quite a while.

Have you tried returning it or is it too late?

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Ok. I was just afraid that I'd air it out, it'd "dry" up again. Than as soon as I start to season it again, the smell would come back.

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
1. Stick your face in the humidor and take a big whiff of glue fumes
2. Repeat previous step until you pass out, leaving the humidor open
3. By the time you wake up, the humidor will no longer smell like glue. Season and fill.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Never had a humi that didnt smell like cedar. I'd send it back. Life is too short to waste good cigars on a cheap humidor.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Never had a humi that didnt smell like cedar. I'd send it back. Life is too short to waste good cigars on a cheap humidor.
Yea, I'm beginning to thing ya'll are right. It's a friggin 20 stick humidor. I shouldn't even spend this much time thinking about it. Thanks for all the help.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
You don't have much choice. Sounds like a newly constructed humi and the glue might still be gassing off. I'd hate to see you place your cigars in there which might affect the bouquet fo the cigars. If it were me, I'd air it out for a while, let the glue completely dry or gas off and then re-season. No sense in rushing this IMO.
Agreed

I would also try to return it

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
This weekend I did a few things. One, I sanded the interior with 220 grit sand paper. Didn't really help at all. Replaced the water and put a new credo in there. Still stinks.

So I gave in and called in for a return. They convinced me to try a replacement for a few days and see if it stinks too. I'll keep ya posted.

thanks all!