What's new

Humidors on Mythbusters

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
the new episode of one of my favorite shows just aired and they actually used a humidor in one of the myths. actually it was a coolidor but instead of cigars they were storing baseballs in them. the myth is that a baseball hit when it has a higher humidity will not travel as far as a ball hit with a lower humidity. and i guess they sort of proved it. a ball stored in 90% RH will travel on average 15-20 feet less than a dry ball strored at 10% RH. i just thought the whole humidor thing was a nice touch. would have been nice if they would have used an Avallo instead of an Igloo.... :headroll:

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
damn...I missed the new episode tonight!

good myths to bust in lieu of Barry Bond's accomplishments!

next they should do a myth about the effects of steroids on long-held sports records

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I agree!!!

there was a picture somewhere (maybe even on this board) that had Bonds walking out to the outfield staring right at a sign the read "Ruth did it on hot dogs and beer"

May be one of the greatest pictures I've ever seen!

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
The Rockies have a baseball humidor at Coors Field, and I think a few other teams do too. We've got about 11-17% RH here in CO, so the baseballs get too dry without one. Really dry balls here in CO, lol. gotta keep 'em moist.

TYLER

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Stayed up till 2 this morning to watch the rerun of the show. It was great. They had Roger Clemens, humidors, 400mph baseballs. Good times.

They said that last year, MLB started having a humidity requirement on balls. (hehe)
that would explain the humi in Colorado

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Colorado had the humidors first....the MLB looked at thier program, liked what they saw, and instilled it across the entire league.