What's new

Hunting in Indiana

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm hoping our Indiana contingent will see this and chime in...

My boss has asked if I'm interested in a promotion. In order to accept said promotion, I would need to relocate to Indiana. The company I work for is based in Zionsville, on the NW side of Indianapolis.

I am a pheasant and deer kind of guy, and we have both in relative abundance in Iowa. What kind of hunting opportunities should I expect in IN? How is the public land situation? Any recommendations or thoughts?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I grew up in southern Indiana on a farm so we always hunted our private land. I just moved to the NE side of Indy (Fishers) and have no idea what public land is like up here. But if you make your way out here let us know. We will herf.

Worst case scenario make friends with someone who owns some land. Give them a few smokes and hunt their land.

Edit: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-hg_wheretohunt.pdf

Try this link for public land.

Also I don't know where you are looking to live, but Zionsville's a high rent district if you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
public land is crowded, alot of times hunters rent from farmers. you have salamonie and misisinewa in north east from indy i don't know whats up toward fortwayne. there is more of a turkey bunch then phesent and quail but i do know of quite a few duck hunters

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I grew up in southern Indiana on a farm so we always hunted our private land. I just moved to the NE side of Indy (Fishers) and have no idea what public land is like up here. But if you make your way out here let us know. We will herf.

Worst case scenario make friends with someone who owns some land. Give them a few smokes and hunt their land.

Edit: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-hg_wheretohunt.pdf

Try this link for public land.

Also I don't know where you are looking to live, but Zionsville's a high rent district if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the link.

First thing I did was pull up real estate prices. I see what you mean about Zionsville. I was hoping to get back to the country. I'm living in town now. First time ever. I miss the country.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
public land is crowded
That's what I was worried about. I am fortunate enough to have private land for deer hunting. I work public land for pheasant. I think a lot of people have gotten out of pheasant hunting over here, which means a lot of open public prairie for hunting. The numbers really struggled in the 2000's and have recovered considerably. I would have brought home two yesterday just walking. I have no dog. Now, if only I were a good shot!

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Growing up in Fort Wayne most my friends went to Salamonie but there are plenty of places and generally farmers are very generous. Also had no idea you were so close now @RacFocus.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Practise makes near perfect
Hehe...I hear ya. I do well at the trap range and used to shoot skeet, so I should be an adequate shooter. I think I'm just too impatient and need to wait a second before pulling the trigger. When a pheasant flies up between your feet it tends to throw you off.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Growing up in Fort Wayne most my friends went to Salamonie but there are plenty of places and generally farmers are very generous. Also had no idea you were so close now @RacFocus.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yup moved up over the summer. Still getting settled in. Temporarily in an apartment probably until next spring or summer. We will look for houses here in the Fishers Noblesville area.

We are going to get an Indiana herf together one of these days.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Thanks for the link.

First thing I did was pull up real estate prices. I see what you mean about Zionsville. I was hoping to get back to the country. I'm living in town now. First time ever. I miss the country.
There should be some country land north of Zionsville. Depending on how far you want to commute to work.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
Hehe...I hear ya. I do well at the trap range and used to shoot skeet, so I should be an adequate shooter. I think I'm just too impatient and need to wait a second before pulling the trigger. When a pheasant flies up between your feet it tends to throw you off.
Well no shit it throws you off lol scares the shit outta me, one reason I can't rabbit or bird hunt