What's new

Hurricane Effects

Hambo

I'm Cigar-a-licious
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This question is geared to those who have smoked longer than I have (pretty much everybody). My question is, what effects does a particularly rough hurricane season have on Cuba's cigar industry? I know they get hit a lot, but this season is supposed to be especially bad. Can a whole year be ruined? :dunno:

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
From what I have heard, the hurricanes that effect crop production do not have an effect until 1 & 2 years later. That is because tabacco is curing in the barns for that period. So, if this seasons hurricanes were to effect the crop, we would not feel the effect right away.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I think it would also depend greatly on where they are hit. Since living in FL I pay quite a bit of attention to these stupid storms and usually when Cuba is hit, it's on the North-Western most part of the island. Don't know if that's a big tobacco production area or not...

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I don't like the current map track. Headed straight to Pensacola where my brother and my niece live :/

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hambo said:
This question is geared to those who have smoked longer than I have (pretty much everybody). My question is, what effects does a particularly rough hurricane season have on Cuba's cigar industry? I know they get hit a lot, but this season is supposed to be especially bad. Can a whole year be ruined? :dunno:
here are the crop times for Cuba:

Seedlings get started indoors, in late fall. They plant them in the fields in Oct/Nov..... harvesting starts in Feb and is usually finisihed by the end of March.

In other words, the hurricanes have no effect on the crops - the storage barns are another story.

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Jwrussell said:
usually when Cuba is hit, it's on the North-Western most part of the island. Don't know if that's a big tobacco production area or not...
Pinar Del Rio is just west of Havana in the Westernmost part of the country.....thats prime tobacco growing area my friend. But like jordan pointed out....the storms don't affect the crops as they are curing and not planted during the hurricane season.