What's new

Hygrometer Recs?

dsb

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I've been smoking for a little bit now (a couple years probably) but only recently got serious about it (last 6 months or so). And I've got a humidor that my father gave me years ago with an analog hygrometer. I don't know if I should trust it, plus I have no idea how to test its accuracy.

Recommendations are very welcome :)

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
You can pick up digital ones for fairly cheap. I currently use the HygroSet II and its been great to be able to just glance over and see

Some people use the Xikar ones as well.

Keep your eyes open over here at Cigar Monster and they pop up almost daily. Currently the Xikar one is up. Here is everything they offer.

I got my Hygroset off of Amazon, it had a semi beat up box and was only around $10.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I personally wouldn't use an analog that comes with the box. Often times they aren't very accurate. I personally feel that they are more for show than truly giving you the best idea of humidity in the box. The Xikar model YodisMatt mentioned is excellent and I know many brothers use it. I have one myself and have never had a problem. On cigarmonster you can use code BOTLORG and get 15% off and they ship it for free on the site anyway. Less than $20 bucks for a Xikar is a solid deal and if you're in the market I'd recommend picking it up.

dsb

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys. I ordered a hygroset yesterday. Should be here today :)

I also went over to J&R Whippany to ask, and the guys there said 60% is pretty typical for this time of year, what with the cold outside and the heat in, the humidity takes a hit. He said a lot of guys will buy some lower tier sticks to line the box, and make sure it's always half full, which should help with humidification. So, I may get a bigger humidor and do that. Gonna see how things go with a few sticks and the new hygrometer in there first.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
You will also want to make sure you properly calibrate the hygrometer, too. I've used the salt test with remarkably poor results, so I'd suggest getting the calibration kit from Boveda. I found it on Amazon for $5 or $6. Took two days to get it dialed in accurately and back into my humidor.

Good luck!