What's new

Hypothetical question

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Let us say, for purposes of argument, that the following are available. One likes to try new stuff, never having tried any of the below, but can only afford one box at a time. Which do you choose? :grin:

Bolivar Corona Petit Corona; JUL 04
Diplomaticos #4; NOV 02
H. Uppman Petit Coronas; MAY 03
Juan Lopez Petit Corona; SEP 03
Punch Corona; NISU-SSIV (old code, I believe it translates to 12/98?)
Punch Punch; DIC 04
Rafael Gonzalez Lonsdale; ABR 02
Rafael Gonzalez Corona Extra; NOV 03
R&J Coronas; JUL 04
R&J Petit Corona; ABR 04
Saint Luis Rey Series A; ABR 03
Saint Luis Rey Regios; ABR 03

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Depends on the strength of cigar you enjoy. If you are new to Habanos and strength is a concern you may want to stear clear of the Boli's. If you enjoy a full bodied cigar then the Boli's would be a great choice. If you are unsure, from the list you provided, the Punch Punch would be a good choice. The '98 Punch coronas are a very nice underrated cigar and reasonably priced for 7+ years of age as well.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Diplo 4 - had that code and it was amazing
RG Lonsdale - Where the Lonsdale name was adapted from and certainly sets the precidant very high
SLR Regio/A

In that order. All are mild/medium and can be smoked all day long. The Boli's are good, but not a complex smoke. The three I listed will blow you away all all the time.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I agree with Kurt on the selections. Further, you should get a box of each (unless the vendor has restrictions) and then offer to split each box 3 ways. You end up with only one box ... but now it's a nice assortment ... and you get some trader comments (and possible future trading buddies) as a bonus.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Well I would either go with the aged Punch, or the RG Lonsdales. As stated before, where the Lonsdale started. IMO it's only surpassed by the Por Larranaga Lonsdale, but try to find those.:sadpace:

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I've had 2 boxes of 98 punch Coronas after a boxsplit last year:
BOTH PLUGGED!

If you have a source who will allow returns/credits on plugged boxes, go for those, but I have had such bad experiences that I would acoid at all costs.

LasciviousXXX

One Bad M.F.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Umm well, if I could only afford 1 box at a time then I would choose....... SAMPLER Baby!

Best way to try new cigars.... that or fivers!

XXX

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
tedski said:
I agree with Kurt on the selections. Further, you should get a box of each (unless the vendor has restrictions) and then offer to split each box 3 ways. You end up with only one box ... but now it's a nice assortment ... and you get some trader comments (and possible future trading buddies) as a bonus.
Ted is a very wise man:thumbsup:

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
tedski said:
Agreed. That's the best way to go when getting your feet wet. I don't think there is a bad cigar in the list you posted, but there is a wide range of profiles.

For a good review of what others said about those, try this link if you don't already have it.

http://www.cigars-review.org/

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
tedski said:
This would be ideal, Ted, but I just do not have the cash flow at the moment. I do hope to do some splits in the future. I have not yet found a CC that I did not like, although I certainly prefer some more than others. I like the idea of purchasing the older smokes when available since they are often ready to smoke and are good for future trades.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Kurtdesign1 said:
I've had 2 boxes of 98 punch Coronas after a boxsplit last year:
BOTH PLUGGED!

If you have a source who will allow returns/credits on plugged boxes, go for those, but I have had such bad experiences that I would acoid at all costs.

I've heard the same thing, that they can be hit and miss on plugged boxes. I've gone through four boxes of the 98's with no plugs in the bunch. Go figure. If you have a good source that would correct any problems then you are good to go.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Saint Luis Rey Regios; ABR 03

These are some excellent cigars. They are usually over looked.

If you dont go with these go with the Bolis.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For godsakes, buy the Punch Corona! That's a 7 year old box. I smoked through a box last month (split with 2 others) and every single one was fantastic. No draw or burn problems. You will never duplicate that type of flavor development in a 2 or 3 year old cigar. All those other cigars will still be available by the time you finish this box.