What's new

I am a changed man...

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Thanks to all of you, I have changed. When I originally joined way back in 01-01-2007, I was a die-hard flavored cigar smoker, with "normal" cigars as fill-in's.

Because of all this talk about NC's and CC's I have found I have not touched a flavored cigar in over a month. I have been enjoying the "flavors" of a regular cigar and my desire/want for "flavored" cigars has waned.

Now that I was gifted with some VERY nice NC's I hope to expand my knowledge and refine my palette in the area of top NC's... then I hope to start exploreing the CC area. (I have many questions in this area (CC'S) particularly, the main one being how the heck you score 'em. But one thing at a time.

I wish I had someone locally I can rely on to expand my knowledge by teaching me about what it IS I am supposed to be tasting (leathery, coffee, chocolate) and all, the one decent cigar store I have near me has VERY limited hours that makes it damn near impossible to visit, but they lean toward the snobbish side.

But, I will eventually work my apprenticeship off and start to become more like rest of you.

I want to thank all of you for putting up with me, answering my questions, and soon hope to be a fellow bomber/gifter!

So I say stand up and give yourselves a round of applause.

You really know HOW to make a newbie feel welcome!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Next....Pipes....If you can make it to Boswells and try their baccy you will have another great tasting experience...and sweet pipes too!:dance: :applause: :thumbsup:

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... I wish I had someone locally I can rely on to expand my knowledge by teaching me about what it IS I am supposed to be tasting (leathery, coffee, chocolate) and all,...
I don't think ANYbody can teach you that. Some folks have very sensitive taste and smell sense, and others don't. I don't. Your best bet is to read reviews that go into that kind of detail, then try the same cigar and see if you can detect some or all of the same things.

You will learn whose reviews you find helpful and whose are less so. Be sure to note what they are drinking with the cigars, because that will affect your perceptions a lot.

Just remember the old joke:
Young Man: How do I get to Carnegie Hall?
Old Man: Practice my boy, practice! :clap:

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Your welcome Tag and thank you at the same time. Glad to share with you what has been given to me. When in doubt, a PM goes a long way as well :thumbsup:

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I'd highly recommend establishing a relationship with a QUALITY b&m in our area and begin your experimentation phase. After a while, you'll be able to pick out flavors, differences, etc. In a relatively short while, you'll be ready to move up to wherever you want to go.

But hey, we all gotta start somewhere...glad you're aboard for the ride!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Read reviews here and at other sites about cigars that you are trying, that will help you to find flavors you will taste. There is no substitute for just smoking and writing down what you taste.

Kevin

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Right on Jim!!!!

this is a great place...and I agree, they definately know how to make a newbie feel welcome. I agree...and as far as acquisition is concerned...patience is a virtue. Stick around and good things will happen!:peace: :applause:

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Way To make a newbie feel welcome guys, WAY TO GO!!!

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I don't think ANYbody can teach you that. Some folks have very sensitive taste and smell sense, and others don't. I don't. Your best bet is to read reviews that go into that kind of detail, then try the same cigar and see if you can detect some or all of the same things.

You will learn whose reviews you find helpful and whose are less so. Be sure to note what they are drinking with the cigars, because that will affect your perceptions a lot.

Just remember the old joke:
Young Man: How do I get to Carnegie Hall?
Old Man: Practice my boy, practice! :clap:
Yeah I do read, also just won a copy of Perelmans' cyclopedia 2006 to help me more, I enjoy the ratings in C.A. mag and Smoke mag.

Oh, I PLAN to practice, practice, practice! :yes:

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I'd highly recommend establishing a relationship with a QUALITY b&m in our area and begin your experimentation phase.
No better way to put it. I got 'in' with my local B&M when I was 18, and not only did they help me with a lot but they give me the hookups! I can walk in there and snatch up a dozen Opus Xs (daily limit is usually 2 per person) no problem. I also get access to the stash of rare cigars that are in the back that you have to ask to see. One shop did this with Anejos and Cojonus.
You can usually learn a lot from the guys in the lounge, too!

TYLER

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Awesome Jim!

Keep reading up online, trying as many cigars as you can. Take notes of what you like. It's all about variety and that's the best part of it!

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Next....Pipes....If you can make it to Boswells and try their baccy you will have another great tasting experience...and sweet pipes too!:dance: :applause: :thumbsup:

Great, now how would I explain that one to the gf, she is already sorry she got me my first humi and eyes every package I get suspiciously as if I have bought MORE cigars.. which half the time IS true.

My grandpa smoked a pipe and I loved the smell...

First things first....though....

hmmm a pipe... Dr. Watson, I presume?