What's new

I decided to do some much needed grill maintenance.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey its food related!
But seriously, the felt gaskets on my kamodo cooker were completely shot.
On the bottom all but gone.
grill fixing 001.JPG
On the top, ack! Not sure I want to know what all is on there.
grill fixing 002.JPG
I finally got it cleaned up tho it took more effort that I would have thought. Used a carbide blade paint scraper, some steel wool and denatured alcohol and got it looking pretty good.
grill fixing 004.JPG
Applying felt on the horizontal surface of the bottom portion was quite easy.
grill fixing 006.JPG
The near vertical surface of the lid on the other hand was a different story. It was obvious the adhesive on the 2nd roll of felt wasn't going to stick. So I got out the painters tape and a can of 3M 90 adhesive.
grill fixing 011.JPG Kind of a mess but it had to be done. The spray 90 adhesive is great stuff, it worked well.
grill fixing 012.JPG Now after a bit of clean up i can move on to the next item this grill needs. I need to sand this down and repaint it before it gets worse.
grill fixing 014.JPG
Nice.(y)
grill fixing 016.JPG

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Big green egg is a ceramic grill/smoker thing too. Seems to me they are similar. I have yet to acquire one, and don't know much about them other than i want to make so many smoked meat items.

Sent back in time from Dr. Hoppy's phone using thinkatalk.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Big green egg is a ceramic grill/smoker thing too. Seems to me they are similar. I have yet to acquire one, and don't know much about them other than i want to make so many smoked meat items.

Yes, I know what the Green Eggs are. There are now several brands of kamodo cookers available, some at amazing prices. I looked recently at one brand out of California that was $6,000+ :woot:
http://komodokamado.com/collections/32-big-bad-komodo-grills
I've a buddy that has had a Primo brand cooker for several years and is quite happy with it.
http://www.primogrill.com/en-us/products/grills
I've had this one a long time now and its served us well. A guy with a large family or who entertains a lot would probably want a bigger unit. Mine is 20" across. I can do about 10 ribeyes, two pork shoulders or three racks of babyback ribs, but thats about all it can handle. This size has been good for our family of 4.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Yes, I know what the Green Eggs are. There are now several brands of kamodo cookers available, some at amazing prices. I looked recently at one brand out of California that was $6,000+ :woot:
http://komodokamado.com/collections/32-big-bad-komodo-grills
I've a buddy that has had a Primo brand cooker for several years and is quite happy with it.
http://www.primogrill.com/en-us/products/grills
I've had this one a long time now and its served us well. A guy with a large family or who entertains a lot would probably want a bigger unit. Mine is 20" across. I can do about 10 ribeyes, two pork shoulders or three racks of babyback ribs, but thats about all it can handle. This size has been good for our family of 4.
I just got confused because when I asked if it was like a big green egg you said no. I guess I'm still confused.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got confused because when I asked if it was like a big green egg you said no. I guess I'm still confused.

Well, my grill is not a Big Green Egg. Its a Cyprus unit by Bayou Classic. Both are ceramic kamodo style cookers, just made by two different companies.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Have you cooked on it since you sprayed that adhesive on it? I wouldn't have used that stuff in fear of it getting into the ceramic and contaminating the cooks. I recently went with the Rutlands gasket and love it so far, it's only needed on the bottom and not the top portion of the grill.

20170201_171524.jpg
20170201_171529.jpg

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Have you cooked on it since you sprayed that adhesive on it? I wouldn't have used that stuff in fear of it getting into the ceramic and contaminating the cooks. I recently went with the Rutlands gasket and love it so far, it's only needed on the bottom and not the top portion of the grill.

View attachment 92321
View attachment 92322
Genius

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

View attachment 92321
View attachment 92322
Well, theres a good 1/16" of soot on the inside of the lid. Once everything is dry I'll take a scotch brite pad to it and it'll all be gone. I'm contemplating running a hot fire through it without cooking anything to make sure all is burnt off.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Looks good. My buddy has a big green egg he uses for grilling and smoking so it gets used a lot. He changes the gasket every year. Makes things easier.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good. My buddy has a big green egg he uses for grilling and smoking so it gets used a lot. He changes the gasket every year. Makes things easier.
Thank you. I really should have replaced this one a few years ago, I just didn't. :shy: