What's new

I Hate Country Music - Change my Mind

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I love all music but I have a deep disdain for Country music and pure hate of folk/bluegrass music. I do love rock, jazz, blues, rap, metal, punk, classical, etc. However, a few years ago, I stumbled upon Chris Stapleton and absolutely love his voice, the way he plays, the lyrics, and the music as a whole. He gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, there are other Country artists out there that I would add to my playlist - I just can't bring myself to listen to the rest of the shitty country music to find them.

Why am I bringing this up here? Well, I know musical tastes are like cigars and bourbon; everyone's palate is different. There are enough members here that maybe, just maybe, a few could recommend a country artist and/or specific songs for me to listen to that you think I might like.

What do I like? Everything from Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd to St. Paul and the Broken Bones and the Black Keys to NF, Wu-Tang, Busta Rhymes, Tech N9ne, and Anderson.Paak.

What do I hate? A nasal singing style. Absurdly stupid hillbilly lyrics. A steel guitar/banjo/mandolin makes my butthole bleed.

You give me some recommendations, I'll listen to them and will give you my honest feedback. If you can suggest one that I like, there may be a surprise in it for you.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Video 1: Sturgill Simpson - You Can Have the Crown
- Music: dear God/Oprah/Tom Cruise - the steel guitar is painful. I hate this music with everything in me.
- Voice: Pure Nasal and trying too hard
- Lyrics: I couldn't even understand it because my ears were bleeding.
- Overall: I'll let you guess the outcome. :sick:

Video 2: Tyler Childress - White House Road
- Music: freaking slide guitar and the banjo throughout. Also, there are some very strange sound effects in the background; sounds like a Loony Toons spring sound effect.
- Voice: it's different and I actually like it.
- Lyrics: It's okay - I did like the line "get me higher than the grocery bill."
- Overall: I want to like it but the song wants me to hate it. Not sure what to do with it.

Video 3: The Steel Woods - Straw in the Wind
- Music: Starts off solid! Great lead guitar and bluesy throughout.
- Voice: Has a draw but I can handle it. Actually, as the song continues, that southern draw stretches out. Not unbearable but I'm not loving it.
- Lyrics: I like it a lot!
- Overall: Solid submission here! I really didn't expect to get a song so early in this experiment to be added to the playlist but you made it happen. Congrats!

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Video 1: Jason Isbell - Flying Over Water
- Music: Plain and boring. The guitarist tried to do something towards the end of the song but it was just - noise.
- Voice: No
- Lyrics: He kept saying "Did we leave our love behind" and all I could think was that I want to leave this song behind.
- Overall: I knew 2 seconds in I would hate this song but I sat through it anyway. Hated it. (n)

Video 2: Sturgill Simpson - Turtles All the Way Down
- Overall: can confirm after this and the other Sturgill Simpson recommendation earlier that I do NOT like this guy at all.

Video 3: The Mavericks - All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down
- Overall: WTF is this shit?!

Video 4 and 5 are not going to be tried. I feel like you didn't read the original post saying what I hate and what I love. Unless you did and you are doing these recommendations to be an asshole. In which case, I salute you! (y)

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Take an afternoon and follow Aaron lewis progression from Staind front man to solo country artist and then try listening to some popular and country classics. May help bridge the gap.
That's a great idea. I remember when he went the country route and I just wrote him off at that point. Probably not fair but... country. Anyway, I'll go give him a listen.

Update: hate it. hahaha. I sped through a few of his country songs and... while I love his voice in Stained, his solo country voice/music/lyrics are everything I can't stand.

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Video 1: Creed Fisher - Whiskey Fucks Me Up
- Music: oof
- Voice: double oof
- Lyrics: typical country song
- Overall: nope!

Video 2: Whiskey Myers - Ballad of a Southern Man
- Music: not feeling it
- Voice: I like it
- Lyrics: another typical country song
- Overall: pass

Video 3: Brent Cobb - Let the Rain Come Down
- Music: starts strong!
- Voice: I actually like this!
- Lyrics: hell yeah!
- Overall: Added to the playlist!

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Video 1: Jason Isbell - Flying Over Water
- Music: Plain and boring. The guitarist tried to do something towards the end of the song but it was just - noise.
- Voice: No
- Lyrics: He kept saying "Did we leave our love behind" and all I could think was that I want to leave this song behind.
- Overall: I knew 2 seconds in I would hate this song but I sat through it anyway. Hated it. (n)

Video 2: Sturgill Simpson - Turtles All the Way Down
- Overall: can confirm after this and the other Sturgill Simpson recommendation earlier that I do NOT like this guy at all.

Video 3: The Mavericks - All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down
- Overall: WTF is this shit?!

Video 4 and 5 are not going to be tried. I feel like you didn't read the original post saying what I hate and what I love. Unless you did and you are doing these recommendations to be an asshole. In which case, I salute you! (y)
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Country is usually the last thing I would ever reach for as well. I have a friend who’s in the industry, and recorded a song co-written by Stapleton and Lee Thomas Miller. If you’re not that into the genre but like Stapleton’s songwriting style, check out Sleepy Little Town, recorded by JT Hodges.

Someone already took Let the Rain Come Down. Was going to be my second suggestion.

Not sure how you feel about Dierks Bentley, but this might be my favorite of his contributions.