What's new

I learned my lesson

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
So on Wednesday I decided to not eat a lot during the day. More like there was no food in the house and I was lazy to go out. So a few hours pass and a lot of sleeping, watching t.v., being on BOTL; it was time to get up and start taking care of the daily chores (boooooring). Anyways, my fiance calls me to tell me that she wants to go out after work. So, now I'm in a rush. I get everything done and decide that I have enough time to smoke a Camacho Coyolar Rothschild. That's where it started to go downhill.

I light it up and off we are. Tastes great, lots of smoke, FULL BODIED and lots of traffic. So I'm puffing away. Every time I put it down I'm reaching for it again. It tastes just soooo good. By now I'm enveloped by white puffy clouds of smoke and I'm still in traffic. I finally meet up with my fiance and she's not surprised that I'm in the zone (smoking). She happens to not enjoy the aroma of this cigar and so i'm forced to hang my head out the window. Well, not really, but you know what I mean. So I'm puffing away for her and for me and I'm feeling good.

O.K. here we go. We pull into the Friday's parking lot I turn off the car and get out. That's when I notice that I'm f@#ked up. I feel it in my stomach and light headed. This cigar was so good that I couldn't stop smoking it that I didn't even realize. So I get in and order a big Sam Octoberfest and lots of food. Needless to say the food started to help and I was on my way to a full recovery. I learned my lesson about some cigars and eating. But it was worth the smoke need to buy some more.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
If you're gonna smoke a fuller bodied cigar and they tend to affect you like that, a little sugar ahead of time will help cure that as well.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I will not smoke with out food in my belly. And even then some of the bigger stronger sticks will F#@K me up. I'm in trouble come next saturday's Herf.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
On that note: I always hearing of Opus X messing with people. I have never had that happen. I guess prob, cause I smoke cigs. The only really powerful one I have ever smoked was a LFD double ligero. or a JDN antano. But those are designed to be real power houses.

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
On that note: I always hearing of Opus X messing with people. I have never had that happen. I guess prob, cause I smoke cigs. The only really powerful one I have ever smoked was a LFD double ligero. or a JDN antano. But those are designed to be real power houses.

Can you break it down for me LFD? and JDN? sorry just new. And where can I hands on them?:popeyes:

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
OK, long story short. I was herfing with a good buddy and cracked open the Otterbox and took out a Perfection X and asked to see it as he'd never had an Opus. So I opened back up and gave him a xXx. About 2/3 into it, he got up from the back of the lounge and walked up to the front, no biggie, maybe getting a drink, going to the head, whatever. So about 15 minutes he comes back and says, "dude, I just puked my freakin' guts out, WTF is in that cigar"? We just had a good laugh and he's not had a Power Ranger since, nor will he I think. Granted, he can usually only do about two sticks a day, while I can hammer out 7-10 if it's a day long event. But either way, he smoked it on an empty stomach...bad move.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Always. Always, before a heavy bodied Cigar, apply food to the tummy!

Thanks for the review, I have a Camacho I need to partake of soon!

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
LFD = La Flor Dominicana
JDN = Joya De Nicaragua

Both powerhouses pretty much, one IMHO being a good smoke, the other...not so good. Try the LFD Lancero with the Oscuro wrapper! Yummmy!

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
OK, long story short. I was herfing with a good buddy and cracked open the Otterbox and took out a Perfection X and asked to see it as he'd never had an Opus. So I opened back up and gave him a xXx. About 2/3 into it, he got up from the back of the lounge and walked up to the front, no biggie, maybe getting a drink, going to the head, whatever. So about 15 minutes he comes back and says, "dude, I just puked my freakin' guts out, WTF is in that cigar"? We just had a good laugh and he's not had a Power Ranger since, nor will he I think. Granted, he can usually only do about two sticks a day, while I can hammer out 7-10 if it's a day long event. But either way, he smoked it on an empty stomach...bad move.
My problem was that I had this cigar a month earlier and didn't have that reaction. I had eaten prior to smoking that day as I usually do.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never been there...probably because like Donk I smoke cigarettes so my nicotine levels are usually high. I've had cigar hangovers though, but never a buzz that strong.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
That's just funny. the whole cigar puking thing! :laugh:
Oh yeah!! The guys from the office and I went to celebrate a guys recent engagement ot his longtime girlfriend. He's the kind of guy who will want the biggest and best of what ever it is. He gagues quality by size and price. OOPPs big mistake. He grabbed a $30 Gurkha Beast ( I know pricey, but OC California is pricey). We got back to the office about 2 hours later and he was white as a ghost an thought he was going to puke the whole afternoon. He has still not lived that down and his new nickname is "The Beast". If you are coming to the SoCal Herf you can make fun of him there.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0

The first Opus I smoked was with Jeeper a few months back. It got me pretty good. I was about 2/3's into it and I could feel it coming on. I had to put it down and then started drinking water like crazy. Fortunately though, I didn't throw up.

My second experience was no better, but for different reasons. I was smoking another Opus the night we drafted for our BotL NC Fantasy Football league. It was a good draft, everyone showed up, and things were going really good. I was getting some good picks, I was harassing jeeper a little, then it happened. Around the 10th pick, I was typing a message right before I selected my pick. I took a draw off the Opus while typing and I noticed the timer was almost up for me to pick. I panicked and in doing so, inhaled the whole draw into my lungs. Boy did that f@*k me up!!! I thought I was going to puke, it took several minutes to recover and get my breath back. Fortunately, my wife was there the whole time and knew my next couple draft moves. She took over for me until I recovered.

Vowing not to give up on the Opus (I do enjoy them all the way up to my misfortunes), I smoked my third Opus a week or so ago and am happy to report no problems. Smoked it to the nub and enjoyed every second of it!