What's new

If I see another bean come into this house...

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think my wife is going to kill me. Received a pound of Black Dog coffe on Monday, picked up a hot Air Popper on Tuesday, and 5 pounds of green beans on Wednesday.

Roasted three small batches on Wednesday night. Nothing burned to the ground. Success!! Damn those beans smell sooo good. Pressed on Thursday morning- Wow!! I've got a new hobby!!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Now I've got a lot of coffeee to drink. Took some to work- both the Black Dog and the home roasted to share with a few co-workers all are impressed with the difference from the Maxwell House. Maybe a little more business heading Brian's way.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
5 lb? Don't be surprised when you look at your green bean stash and it is more like 80 lb... I give you about 4 months.... lol!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It has. Did 3 batches on Wednesday.
First batch with 1/2 cup of beans for 4.5 minutes- relatively even roast to just beyond first crack.
Second batch with 1/3 cup of beans- stop watch broke felt like it went longer than 5 minutes but not quite as far in the roast but a very very uniform roast.
Third batch with 1/2 a cup and went into the second crack, I beleive, to 5.75minutes.

Sampled the three in the french press. Liked the 1st batch best, but will try with 1/3 cup and take it to the beginning of the second crack for the next batch. Hopefully the flavor I like with the most uniform roast.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I'm still drinking the black dog....I'd like to get into roasting but I need another hobby like I need a whole in the head

owljones

habanoholics anonymous
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Any other type popcorn poppers other's find work?
If you have a Walgreen's in your neck of the woods, they sell a Popcorn popper branded as "Kitchen Gourmet". It has the same type of vents and heating coil like the Poppery I & II. They go for about $10 and from what I have read about them, they are too powerful. If you find yourself roasting the beans too fast, you may want to use a 100' extension cord, or even roast outside, where the temps are lower. I myself bought a couple of them, just in case my PII dies out.