What's new

If I Was Thinking About Buying A 9mm

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
But do we have the right to arm bears?

Good luck on finding the right guy for you. I know I have small hands and have a problem with a lot of guns to fire by the PX4 was an awesome Gun.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
You can purchase an after market safety kit for the Glock if that's a concern. My take is simply to keep your finger outside of the guard until you want to fire. IMHO safties can give a false sense of security, always treat a weapon as if there wasn't one.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Wade
If you’re just looking for something for target shooting or maybe some day competition such as IDPA and want a Glock the G34 would be your best choice right out of the box. It has the longest sight radius and still being legal for IDPA competition should you want to try it sometime. The longer the sight radius the more accurate you’ll be. You could also go with the long slide G17L but I do not believe it is IDPA legal. There are a lot of accessories out there for the Glocks and take down is simple, both which makes them appealing but make sure you like the feel of one. As was previously stated shop around and see what feels good to you. The S&W M&P is a good choice as well as the Springfield XD and the XDm. The XDm also holds 19 in the mag and 1 up the pipe = 20 rounds fully loaded. CZ is also a good choice. You really have to get out there and see what feels good to you and also the price range you’re looking in. Any of these are good firearms. H&K and Sig also but $$.
If you’re just looking for target shooting, go with a longer slide, you’ll enjoy it more as opposed to a short slide or compact pistol which is geared towards concealed carry.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i agree with the glock. however, i do not like the 9. way too hot! the .40 packs a punch and tends to stay in the intended target w/o striking what's behind the intended target.

with that said, i love the 22! and if you want to go a little smaller, the 23!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would go with Glock for the 9mm. I would also go with Glock for the .40 cal. 40 is a better round than the 9, but costs alittle more.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Wade,

If you're serious about just wanting to punch holes in paper and blow through ammo, you'll go broke shooting anything other than .22 LR. Handgun ammo is expensive these days and is still hard to find in any quantity (at least around here). Think about a Ruger Mark III, a nice .22 target pistol.

If you want the handgun to see duty as home defense as well, then go with the 9mm or move up to a .40 S&W. Glock would be a great first choice, easy to take down and clean, and it will run like a champ. I have a soft spot for the S&W M&P 9mm as well. Smith also makes some nice stainles steel 9mm guns, to give you a little more heft. For home defense, night sights and lasers are a nice addition.

Find a range that will let you rent, or go shooting with some buds who have different models.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
My reasons are two fold, one for plinking and two for home protection. I really want the 9mm, although the 22 has much cheaper rounds, I want the bigger gun. Is there any detrement to buying used?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Go to the range and shoot them before you buy...in some respect in handguns, like cigars, the is a personal side that only you can define. The HKs are fine pistols and I love my new Springfield XD (the XD gives you the benefits of a polymer - reliability, easy maintenance without the "clunkiness of a Glock (IMHO). But I agree with Jeff, consider a .40 instead of the 9mm . especially if your looking for a home defense piece......

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Nothing wrong with buying used at all, just go through a reputable dealer...if buying from an individual, you'll want to be able to take it down and inspect the bore, the muzzle, sights, etc. for obvious abuse. If it's had more than 5,000 rounds through it, you'll probably need new springs, so you'll be relying on the honesty of the seller to a certain degree.

I bought a .40 Glock 22 that was a police dept. trade in from Bud's Gun Shop online and have been very happy with it. It was a factory refurbished model, so it was cleaned up and the slide was refinished...night sights on it are fading, but that's the only part that shows its age. WWW.Budsgunshop.com They are great to deal with...I have bought several guns from them.

While .40 is a bigger round, shot placement and good ammo are the determining factors when stopping a bad guy, so there's nothing wrong with 9mm. Practice like hell and then get some Speer Gold Dots to keep it loaded with.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I just picked up a new SW M&P 9mm and just love it. It has interchangeable backstraps so you can really tune the gun for your hand. Very ergonomically pleaseing. It is just as easy to take down as a glock and just feels great in the hand. I have around 1000 rounds through it and have had ZERO problems. The price is right too.

SecretSanta

Happy Fat Man
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just picked up a new SW M&P 9mm and just love it. It has interchangeable backstraps so you can really tune the gun for your hand. Very ergonomically pleaseing. It is just as easy to take down as a glock and just feels great in the hand. I have around 1000 rounds through it and have had ZERO problems. The price is right too.
Smith & Wesson eh? Thanks for the tip. Sucka!! Going out tomorrow.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I picked up a Kal-tech PF9 for my CCW and it works good.. sub $300.00 and is a real small tight package. It can also fire +P ammo.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I picked up a Kal-tech PF9 for my CCW and it works good.. sub $300.00 and is a real small tight package. It can also fire +P ammo.
I almost got the same gun for CCW, but opted for the new XDm sub compact. Took it out last week and went through 300 rounds already. Only thing is now I have to qualify with it to add it to my CCW. Stupid requirements here.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
No Sig Sauer fans? the p229 has 3 barrel option. 9mm, .357, and .40 interchangable. I only put maybe 300 rnds before I had to sell it, but I loved that thing.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 for a sigsauer. Not the lightest. Not the smallest but the balance is awesome. Recoil is excellent even in 357sig. Accuracy is phenominal If I was still collecting it would definitely be in my arsenal. Shooting 357 in this baby is absolutely sublime. Definitely in my top 3 choices.

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
No Sig Sauer fans? the p229 has 3 barrel option. 9mm, .357, and .40 interchangable. I only put maybe 300 rnds before I had to sell it, but I loved that thing.

Love Sig, just pricey...Here is my Blackwater P226 Tactical (9mm) Stock Photo:

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=192

And my Carry 45 is the Sig Equinox P229 Carry:

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=37&productid=142

Both great guns. I have been carrying a lot of .380 lately, the LCP and the New Sig P380 (1911 style 380) They are great guns just not for the budget minded....

CZ also makes some Killer 9mm guns. Not a fan of the Glocks, just not my style. Bersa also makes a nice and not to costly 9mm: http://www.bersapistols.com/category/36-Bersa_Thunder_9MM_Pistols.aspx

And this is my absolute favorite carry gun, fun to shot, light, small, and .357 Mag!

http://www.thegunzone.com/sw340pd.html

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Lookin good Eric.

I was given my first gun from a friend just yesterday. He inherited about 10 guns from his dad who passed away 3 weeks ago. It's older than me but we went shooting this morning and it worked great... and you can't beat free! It's a 1985 Bulgarian Makarov 9mm. It came with 5 full clips and a nice holster. Not the best... but like I said, can't beat free! It will do great tieing me over until I can save up enough for a colt commander :)

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I have a Browning .380 that used to be my carry that I won't even shoot/carry anymore as ammo price for that thing is double everything else I have. Thank you Obama.