What's new

Illinois Considers Ease of Statewide Smoking Restrictions

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
When an across-the-board smoking ban prevents cigar enthusiasts from smoking in a cigar bar or a cigar store, what's the next logical move? Exempt them, says the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association.
Springfield, IL (Vocus/PRWEB) March 29, 2011

When an across-the-board smoking ban prevents cigar enthusiasts from smoking in a cigar bar or a cigar store, what's the next logical move? Exempt them, says the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association.

The Illinois House Bill 1310 would give the state's local liquor commissions power to issue smoking licenses to establishments with liquor licenses and other businesses that qualify – e.g. cigar bars and cigar stores.

“Now here's a piece of tobacco-related legislation that is good for the state, good for business, and good for the economy, in general,” said Chris McCalla, legislative director for the IPCPR. “The smoking ban effectively obliterated cigar bars from the state. This legislation would allow for their welcomed return.”

The bill requires that prominent postings be made in the licensed establishments advising its employees and customers that smoking was permitted on the premises.

“The IPCPR – a non-profit organization comprised of some 2,000 local cigar store retailers and manufacturers of premium cigars – has long opposed legislated smoking bans while endorsing the right of business owners to decide for themselves whether or not to allow smoking in their respective businesses. In a way, HB1310 returns that right to at least some business owners,” McCalla said.

The bill was initially sponsored by Representatives Anthony DeLuca and Randy Ramey. Additional sponsors include Representatives Daniel Burke, Robert Rita, and Rita Mayfield.

“The state of Illinois is in a leadership position on this issue as it joins several other states currently preparing to revise their respective smoking bans to allow issuance of licenses by their local liquor commissions which would permit smoking in such establishments,” he said.

McCalla said the IPCPR is urging all of its members, their customers and all other adult residents of Illinois to contact their state legislators and urge their support for HB 1310.

“It's the smart thing to do,” said McCalla. “It's good for business, good for jobs and good for the state.“

Read more: http://www.benzinga.com/press-releases/11/03/p961496/illinois-considers-ease-of-statewide-smoking-restrictions#ixzz1I2w1krAx

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Nice. That would be sweet. I went to a cigar bar for my 21st bday. We also had a spot my buddy's and I would go to for drinks and cigars...would love to be able to go back.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
That's a pretty pathetic compromise if you ask me. How much do you guys think it's going to cost to get one of those licenses?

edit. Take away a right and then offer to sell it back to businesses? I'll give Illinois lawmakers one thing, those suckers have extortion down to a science.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Id imagine it will be pricey...so I guess its up to the business owner to figure out if its worth the price of the license to allow cigar smoking in their establishment.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
The government has no right telling business owners to ban smoking in their establishment. To allow smoking or not to allow smoking should be the business owner's decision and his/hers alone. A health warning posted on the door should do. The Smoke Nazis do not have to walk in any business that allows smoking. That is their right.

I say we change the USA to the NSA (Nanny States of America). No personal responsibility, no personal freedoms, no decisions to make on your own. It will be a Democrat's paradise. They will tell you what you can eat, where you can smoke, how much you must give and to which charity and when you can take a crap.

Big Government or Freedom - you cannot have both!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The government has no right telling business owners to ban smoking in their establishment. To allow smoking or not to allow smoking should be the business owner's decision and his/hers alone. A health warning posted on the door should do. The Smoke Nazis do not have to walk in any business that allows smoking. That is their right.
Effin' A.

ZoS0

Unicorn Wrangler
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not sure I follow this article. Illinois already has some establishments that allow smoking like cigar lounges, for example. Is this saying that the legislation would allow smoking in other establishments, such as bars, if they purchase a specific "allow smoking" license?

If that is the case, that would be a step in the right direction. I don't agree with forcing a business owner to run his/her business a specific way, and that's exactly what the smoking ban managed to do.