What's new

Illusione Epernay Le Elegance

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
........and now for something totally different!

Name: Epernay
Company: Illusione
Made in: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Cafe Rosado
Filler: Blend of Nicaraguan Criollo and Corojo
Price: $8.00
Comes in: Cabinets of 50
Vitola: Le Elegance (5 3/4″ X 40)

As most people already know, this is a less powerful version of the 2008 eccj, which was made for the european market and in celebration of the 15th anniversary of the "european cult cigar journal."

It's name also is another way of referring to the champagne region of France and was made to pair with champagne. Cigars and champagne?

Lets get to it.

Full disclosure. I am not a fan of this ring gauge but the stick was gifted to me by someone at my local B&M after I smacked him with a Elogio LSV Robusto. I ordered them after Kockroache's review and haven't even smoked one yet....but I digress.

I have been wanting to smoke an Epernay for a while and after yesterday's Padron, lets just say I was in the mood for something different.

Nice triple cap, beautiful construction, and got some nice cedar and earth from draw and foot.

Clip and spark and yet ANOTHER cigar that sprints from the get-go! Two puffs and I am almost certain I am tasting nutmeg! Nice flavors of cedar and spice combine in a way that is totally different from any cigar I have ever smoked. This cigar is sorta cool in that its complexity really calls on the smoker to experience and figure out and definitely adds to the overall pleasure. I am not implying it's flavors are muddled, just different.

The draw and burn are perfect and this small gauge surprise is putting out a decent amount of smoke to go along with the flavors.

As it progresses I am impressed with the flavor profile. The cigar is really creamy and I am starting to get some coffee and *thinking* honey, maybe? I am not sure but it was delicious.

Btw, this thing hit me in the end. For a small smoke, it had more of a nicotine hit than I expected.

Finally, the last pics is from outside my B&M AGAIN! I got there late and they close early, I was not about to chuck this thing. :cbig:

These come in 5ers and cabs of 50 (yikes!) at NHC. I am not pushing them, they are the first place I look because I am an OH boy. :)

If you can get a 5er of these or a sampler, do it! You won't be disappointed.

Btw, because of how flavorful and different this stick is, I am curious where it will end up in CA's "best of" list.

If you don't like the ones you have, PM me. :waving:

Attachments

Last edited:

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Epernay is an amazing blend, close to perfect for me. I could smoke these everyday. I need to get a 50ct cab of these one day.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Epernay is an amazing blend, close to perfect for me. I could smoke these everyday. I need to get a 50ct cab of these one day.
I forgot to mention that this would make an excellent morning smoke with coffee, don't you think? Agree, these are a great way of breaking up one's diet of Pepin, Fuente, and Drew Estate. :ccool:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Very nice review and pic's my friend and thanks for sharing your smoking experience.

Because I like them I could give a rats arse where CA lists them!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Nice review! I hadn't had an Epernay in months, so I lit one up a few days ago ... man, I forgot how good these things are! I think they are Dion's finest creation to date. That's not to say I'll smoke them as more than the "original document" Illusione, as I probably won't, but they are an awesome, sophisticated, delicious cigar.