What's new

Illusione Epernay Le Matin

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I think cportrun just misconstrued what Dion was saying. The Epernay is not a "peppery" cigar, but that doesn't mean there is no peppery / spicy quality at all. To me there is, through the nose.

And I'll again point to the Singulare Phantom--just finished smoking one (I've had around 10 or so). That's Dion's mildest stick in terms of strength and body, but it's spicy for the entire first half, and even has some spicy notes in the 2nd half. No ligero at all. The spice isn't strong, but it's definitely there ... through the nose.

As apaniagua said, different people pick up different things. There are many reasons for this, but paramount is the fact that not everyone's palate is the same. Some have varying degrees of taste for the different types of flavors, some have very developed palates, some are "supertasters," some always retrohale and some never do, some smoke on a clean palate and others after a meal, some smoke a couple a week and others have 6 cigars a day. All of these things factor in.

I think the one thing we can agree on is that the Epernay is a fantastic blend, and Dion should be well praised for it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having a cup of cappuccino when I was smoking this cigar, and the flavors were nearly identical once I got past the first inch or so. Really enjoyed this stick and am looking to try some more of the Epernay line.

38-50

rg
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Smoking my first Epernay now, the Le Grande 6x46, and the first third was surprisingly peppery/spicy and strong. Nearing the halfway point it mellowed out nicely. Complex, nuanced flavor profile. I am picking up a lot of nuttiness, a pleasant sweetness, and a flavor that is going back and forth between aged leather and cedar. When the sweetness and nuttiness combine, I get a light English toffee like flavor without the buttery saltiness. A nice rich cigar to sip on and retrohale, but it is actually kind of flat tasting without passing some smoke through the nose, almost tasting like a cigarette. Last third now and I am going to brew a cappuccino to pair.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Nice review,
I've been sitting on one since Andy went back to Cali!
I think it's about time to fire it up!
I've passed it over a few times recently.

Edit: didn't see all the posts in here!

You have to remember everyone tastes things differently!
(my mom thinks ketchup is spicy!)

Recently a reviewer of hot sauces with zero experience was told a hot sauce had
Ketchup
Molasses
Brown sugar
She tasted it and said it had a reaally good kick!
The whole panel laughed at her as it was there to zero in base flavors.

Last edited: