What's new

Illusione Epernay vs.Perdomo Champagne

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Recently I bought a 5er of Epernays from Tim (Podman28) and was also bombed with some by Brian (itallushrt). I was also hit by my Uncle Richard with a sampler of Perdomo's Collected Works. The Perdomo sampler included the Perdomo 10th Anniversary "Champagne".

I loved the Epernays so much, I figured "Hey maybe this Champagne will kick ass too!"

Wrong.

Let’s touch on some highlights from the Epernay. The Epernay had notes of nuts, vanilla, honey, a little earth and grass with some nice pepper and a little cedar to add some zing! It never got harsh. It built up in strength slightly towards the end but remained smooth and flavorful. Maybe it's in my head because it's called "Epernay". But, have you seen the movie Children of Men when the guy has the other guy smoke strawberry cough weed. And the guy tells the other guy to cough and tastes strawberries. Well when I coughed a little during the Epernay, I swear I tasted white grapes. Yeah, it sounds crazy to me too.

Now I wish I could really dig and write some sort of a review for the Perdomo. But I really can't. I got halfway through the stick before I said ENOUGH! This thing was horrible. During my prelight draw I got a lil "mustiness". I have heard Davidoffs referred to as musty and I pray that please do not let this be the same flavor as I experienced. When I fired it up I was welcomed by a "funk". This thing...and to steal from my Brother D Quintero, had a funk like raunchy poontang. But maybe it was just the initial puffs. Nope. At the halfway mark I nailed down its flavor profile. Burning crackwhore pubes mixed with sh!t covered duck feathers. God this was horrible.

I know a proper review should not be done on just one stick. But there will never be another one. Not even sure about any Perdomos right now. I wish I could get my Uncle his money back!

On a positive note, it got me thinking. Chicken before the egg. Or vice versa. Does a cigar maker decide to make a cigar that will embody a certain style or do they make something and find a clever story for it after the fact?

In the case of the Epernay, it seems obvious to me from my experience and from reading other reviews, Dion set out to make a cigar that would pair well with champagne and nailed it. Well done Dion.

In the case of Perdomo I have to believe they had a product and had to find some way of justifying its existence. So the geniuses in their marketing dept. came up with Champagne. Shame on you Perdomo!

Now, I'm sure some Brothers love this cigar so I apologize for any offense. I'm sure Nick Perdomo is a scholar and a gentleman; he just won't get me to smoke one of these ever again.
How do I get this flavor out of my mouth?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
rather interesting.

The Perdomo Reserve Champagne cigars were honored as the “Cigar of the Year” by the Robb Report. Perdomo describes this wonderful cigar as: “… a limited, seasonal release with a golden U.S. Connecticut shade wrapper over six years lending a mild, smooth creamy cigar smoking experience.”
Strength: Mild-Medium

and the Epernay?

Epernay has been made with a combination of Nicaraguan Criollo and Corojo tobaccos. The Illusione Epernay is finished with a superior-grade Café Rosado wrapper.
Strength: Medium

Do you see the problem??

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
smoked my first epernay last night actually! it was the box press. loved the damn thing. made the champagne look like what it is: dogrocket. IMVHO i love love love most perdomo for everyday budget. but hated the champagne. lol

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Was never a fan of the Champagne. Had one. That was enough for me..

Longerash

Too Much Fun
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
have not had the Epernay yet but i have had the dogie treat from a sampler had 2 gave 2nd to my brother (ran out of cigs) lol good thing he was desperate or i might never got rid of it thanks for the review and as far as getting the taste out well you can always try sam adams you know it gets the taste of weed and hooker spit out so its close to Burning crackwhore pubes mixed with sh!t covered duck feathers. good luck

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hmmm... like comparing apple to oranges. I believe that Champagne was no named by it's blond Connecticut Shade wrapper, not by its pairing with the said libation... so comparing a Connie to a Nicaraguan Cafe Rosado isn't entirely fair. Way different flavor profiles. But it does tell you one thing, you probably will gravitate more to fuller flavored Nicaraguan cigars. Plenty of good ones out there!

I haven't had a Champagne in a while, but liked them in the morning when i did.

The Epernays are wonderful, especially the Le Matin (the box-pressed one). Dion hit it out of the park on this blend for me.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i got my first eperany in boise while i was out there working. After i had one i bought a few more....they are deff. great. the champagne was also not my favorite out of the perdomo line.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You can all send those terrible Champagnes to me, Ill dispose of them for everyone. The Epernay is a great smoke too but I think you got a bad Champagne and should get another one, let it sit for a few months, and give it another go. They are one of my favorite goto smokes.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Champagnes are great for the beginner and the Epernay for more seasoned smoker. Atleast that's my thoughts.
Thanks for the head to head review!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Like comparing beer to wine. I like the champagne for a morning cigar on occasion.