BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0

Size: 5 1/8 x 42
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Cafe Colorado
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $6-7

Intro: If you haven't noticed my change in avatar yesterday, it was my son's third birthday. Hard to believe that much time has already passed. Just not that long ago my wife and I brought him home...now he has conversations with you. Crazy. At any rate, it was also an unseasonably warm 68 degrees. Crazy. So I rummaged through the humidors while he was putting his shoes on. I had initially intended on burning the My Father Federal 91st Connie, but this cigar caught my fancy. I've had kind of a thing for Illusione lately...

Prelight: Admiring this cigar, it's elegant in it's simplicity. Beautiful, oily Colorado wrapper with a simple white band. Seams are tight, cap neatly applied. Wouldn't expect anything less from Illusione. Prelight aroma is a rich tobacco with a slight saltiness. Just a slight bit of give when pinched between the fingers. Quick snip from the Palio opens up an easy draw with a slight bit of resistance. Cold draw carries a familiar nutty, rich tobacco flavor with a delayed peppery tingle on the tongue. Fired it up with a Ronson, my son grabbed his tricycle and we headed down the street...

First Third: Immediatly I'm reminded that I really dig the Illusione flavor profile. Wonderfully rich tobacco flavor with a nutmeg spiciness to it. Creamy sweetness and then some pepper on the finish. Burning great, ash is holding strong and is a dark gray color. About halfway though the first third, I get a subtle reminder that this one is a notch above the rest of the line in the strength level.

Second Third: Much the same. The pepper died down leaving that rich, nutmeg, creamy profile. About half way through it started to make a transition to a more woody, creamy profile. Burn was a little errant here and there, but nothing that didn't correct itself. Strength is hitting me in the stomach a little, should have brought a coke with me...or eaten a snack before I left.

Last Third: In the last third the flavors became a slightly sweet, creamy, woody profile with hints of a fruit like dark cherries or prunes at times. Not in your face, just a subtle fruitiness from time to time. The strength is there, but not overpowering at all and the feeling in my stomach from earlier has subsided. When it was burning my fingers, I pitched it down a storm drain.

Final Thoughts: Well what can you say about Illusione other than they're great cigars? :dunno: The size of the MK is great for a shorter smoke and if you like the 88 or the 68, but wish they just had a bit more strength then you'll love this cigar. I still prefer the price point on the 88 or the 68 versus this cigar, but definitely something to have around if you're in the mood for something a little heavier. Glad I tried it and it was a wonderful celebratory cigar (although it could be smoked on a more mundane occasion, say...just because :grin:).

Dan

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Thanks. My wife is due in July to have our second. This time around it's a girl. I'm afraid this one might be the death of me :eyequiver.

Dan
lol, I hear ya. But our daughter is almost 2 (3/30), and my wife and I and our son (4) are still alive ... mostly.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
thanks for the review! this, along with cg4, is my favorite core illusione vitola! happy belated to your little man, and best of luck with the impending girlie!

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Great review. I am a huge Dion guy... I do love the -88-, but the -mk- is in my top 5 for sure. My numero uno is always the epernay la ferme, then -88-. But the MK is usually number 4 or 5.... right after the Tat Black PL.....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have an older stick. They changed to black and white bands on the mk sometime last year I think. I got a box a few months ago and they had the new bands.

Good smoke though. They are packed really well and they last me well over an hour usually, so, for me, I wouldn't call it a "short" smoke.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like you have an older stick. They changed to black and white bands on the mk sometime last year I think. I got a box a few months ago and they had the new bands.

Good smoke though. They are packed really well and they last me well over an hour usually, so, for me, I wouldn't call it a "short" smoke.
I heard the "Ultra" was a new line that would have a few different sizes of their own.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
The mk you refer to is the re-released mk ultra. The mk still has the white bands. The black bands are for the new ultra line. IIRC, there are 4 sizes in the ultra line, including the mk.

There also is the original mk ultra from a few years ago. It has the same original white band...not sure if it has any marking to differentiate it from the normal mk.