What's new

Illusione Singularé Phantom

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

I recently got a box of these during black friday weekend and decided to smoke one FOTT. I'm a big fan of Illusione cigars (the Epernay, in particular), and I've read nothing but good things about this 2010 LE. What did I think of it?

Size: 6 x 50

Blend/Origin: Nicaraguan

Smoked on:​ 12/1/01

The cigar started off with a mild piquance. The first few puffs gave me notes of cedar, earth, and a kind of graham cracker or mild honey sweetness. As I continue threw the first inch, I'm loving how smooth and creamy the smoke is. As the flavors circle each other and compete for dominance, the piquance of the cigar fades. I start getting a slight tannic undertone after about 1.5"-2" mark. Instead of being harsh, it's a mild tannic tone that goes well with the sweet undertones of the cigar. Similar to a good wine or dark chocolate, for example.

Getting passed the halfway point, and the flavors are ramping up in intensity. Every few puffs the cedar and earth notes compete for the forefront, with the sweet and tannic notes leaving a creamy finish on my palate. It's the same delicious song and dance to the finish. Towards the end, the tannic taste increases, but doesn't stop me from smoking beyond that band. :D

All in all, this was a delicious cigar. It reminded me of a stronger Epernay with a little more complexity. I think (and hope) that strength and tannicity will lend well to aging. I'd say the Singularé is a medium bodied, full flavored cigar. Deliciously dense, smooth and creamy texture with complimenting flavors. I loved it, and look forward to seeing how (or if) they change as time goes by.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Great review! These sticks rock! These have become a favorite for me. I find them just as mild as the Epernay, maybe even a bit more so, but that sort of thing is subjective sometimes. Full-flavored though, as you said. The smoothness on these is amazing for a non-Connecticut shade Nicaraguan. I'm really surprised they didn't get more press last year, I thought these were one of the best LEs of the year for sure.

This is one of those sticks that I could smoke almost every day without getting bored. But I don't since there aren't any more around. I hoarded 2+ boxes though, so I'm good, lol.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Wow, amazing review! I wish I picked up a box now so I could have tried one. Will this be a yearly LE line?
In the IPCPR 2010 video I saw Dion said he envisioned doing a yearly LE, like the ECCJ was before. The "Singulare" line. The Phantom was the 2010 release, but he didn't do one in 2011. Hopefully he will put one out in 2012, but I highly doubt it will be the same blend.

The ECCJ got amazing reviews and I remember Pete saying that he called Dion and told him it was his best cigar ever. Lots of people said it should be a regular line, so he came out with the Eperany line (which is phenomenal). I would LOVE to see the Phantom become a full line, or at least a yearly release or something, especially in smaller sizes (the only thing I don't like about the Phantom is that it's a really slow burner ... that's fun, but it takes me close to 2 hours and I seldom have that much time). But I honestly haven't heard that much chatter on the cigar outside of BOTL. Maybe it was too mild for a lot of guys? Not sure. Anyway, it's my favorite "sleeper" cigar in years.

I stand by my statement from a few months ago that the Phantom is the Nicaraguan answer to the Cohiba Behike (and I just had my first Behike 54 yesterday, which was fanfrakintastic).

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Nice review. This cigar is way off the radar. I see it having legs for a long time. Having a box or two is a must.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In the IPCPR 2010 video I saw Dion said he envisioned doing a yearly LE, like the ECCJ was before. The "Singulare" line. The Phantom was the 2010 release, but he didn't do one in 2011. Hopefully he will put one out in 2012, but I highly doubt it will be the same blend.

The ECCJ got amazing reviews and I remember Pete saying that he called Dion and told him it was his best cigar ever. Lots of people said it should be a regular line, so he came out with the Eperany line (which is phenomenal). I would LOVE to see the Phantom become a full line, or at least a yearly release or something, especially in smaller sizes (the only thing I don't like about the Phantom is that it's a really slow burner ... that's fun, but it takes me close to 2 hours and I seldom have that much time). But I honestly haven't heard that much chatter on the cigar outside of BOTL. Maybe it was too mild for a lot of guys? Not sure. Anyway, it's my favorite "sleeper" cigar in years.

I stand by my statement from a few months ago that the Phantom is the Nicaraguan answer to the Cohiba Behike (and I just had my first Behike 54 yesterday, which was fanfrakintastic).
We loved them at my home shop... I don't know how many boxes they sold all together, but it was a bunch

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I've had a handful of these & found them to be a bit flat and one-dimensional, at this point I think I prefer the regular line stuff better, IMO. Maybe I just pulled from a weird batch?

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I was totally hammered when I smoked mine. The dentist gave me a ton of vicodin that day. Not sure if it made for a more enjoyable smoke, but I do vaguely remember some of the tasting notes mentioned here. Definitely ordering more!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've yet to have a cigar that Dion's put out that I didn't like--I think his Epernay is his masterpiece, to date; it embodies elegance, balance, finesse, and complexity.

I'm not sure you can still say he's overlooked or under-appreciated any more, but in my humble opinion, Dion is one of our industry's true geniuses when it comes to blending and having a superb palate.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads