What's new

Important Announcement-Please Read

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
Dear Brothers,

It weighs heavy on my heart to share with you some solemn news. Our beloved Founder and friend, Eric, passed away last night while in hospice care at home.
The journey Eric and his wife Maria have endured over the past couple of months has been marked by relentless battles against illness, hospital visits, and the daunting task of preparing for what lies ahead. While I respect their privacy and won't delve into the specifics, I want you to know that Eric was being cared for with the utmost compassion and surrounded by the warmth of his loved ones in his last days and hours.

So who the heck am I and why am I sharing this?

Allow me to introduce myself; I'm Mike, or Mikey as some of you may know me. For those who've been here since the early days, my username might ring a bell. I've had the privilege of sharing memorable moments with Eric and our community—from the original chat room to trips to Nicaragua with E and various gatherings across the country. When Eric called myself and Derek in February to let us know he was sick, he asked me to help him with certain responsibilities concerning this community, and I'm going to do my best fulfill those. I don’t know what that all means just yet, but you have to bear with me as I try to figure it out.

In light of this news, I urge each of us to pause and reflect on the impact Eric has had on our lives. This forum isn't just a virtual space; it's a sanctuary where friendships blossomed, where Brothers and Sisters of the Leaf found kinship, and where countless cherished memories were created. Eric's legacy will endure through the bonds forged and the camaraderie we've shared. I met so many people on here and remain friends with them today that I never, ever would have crossed paths with.

Let's hold Eric, Maria and his family close in our thoughts and prayers during this challenging time.

This picture is of E and Maria when they got married on February 25th, shortly after we got the news he was sick.

E said something to me a few years ago when our other friend Ara passed away. He said to never miss the opportunity to say I love you to your friends as awkward as it may feel for guys to do that sometimes. I'm lucky I had that chance to say it to him on the phone a few weeks ago.

Rest is peace old friend. I love you and will miss you E.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I will always be grateful to Eric for creating this space and allowing me to be a small part of an amazing community. I told E several times recently I loved him on the phone. I meant it. Could have been my brother…. Was my brother. E I’ll never forget you buddy as long as I’m walking around on this earth. You have a spot of smiles and good memories in my mind and my heart. Thanks for letting everyone know Mikey.
Love you E.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I spoke to E just a few weeks ago and we talked about life, cigars, and the brotherhood. While he was in pain, he seemed calm and spoke fondly of all of us, our discussions, here's and most of all, life long friendships. It was a honor to be his friend and to share a life long love of cigars.
Rest in Peace my friend.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As a relative newcomer to this forum (4 years), I did not have the pleasure of interacting with Eric. But as has been mentioned by several already, this space that he created is...beyond impactful to my life and so many others. I joined intending to just ask a few questions about storage, and ended up finding instead a true community where fond memories are made. Thank you so much for that, Eric. Rest in peace.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Terrible news. Although I don't go back as far as some of you do, I've still been here a while. Thanks to Eric for all the effort he put into starting this place up and all the many friendships Herfs, and amazing stories that have come from it.

Thanks to @rdomfoto for tonight's cigar in Eric's honor. These had to be from around '09 or '10?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Heard the news about Eric from some old (ish) BOTL alum. Absolutely sucks, my condolences to his family and all you guys that knew him well.

Appreciate him setting this place up and inviting us all to hang out. Without it I would surely be healthier and wealthier, but far less entertained and bereft of many great memories.

Thank you Eric. Well done, sir.

And cheers to all who make this place special. May the road rise to meet you.

Attachments

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Thank you for sharing Mike. This news has left a hole in my heart

I had the privilege of meeting Eric when we did the Cigar Safari together back in 2014 and have had nothing but love and respect for him over the years. This forum that he created was the genesis for my cigar education and opened up my life to countless friendships and amazing experiences that I otherwise would have never encountered.

Rest In Peace E. You were one of a kind and will truly be missed

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
I haven't posted here in years but kept in touch on and off with E in my travels in and out of Houston. His legacy lives on through the countless people he touched and brought together through BOTL and his friendship. RIP E. Another lost way to young.