What's new

IMPORTANT - Old Man & C

BrandonJ

I <3 Eric.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Guys just as a heads up, I opened a master case of old man and the C today, there was a beetle inside and a few holes and saw dust from the little boxes, the box was from NHC from I guess about a month ago..

I saw him and smooshed him good.. Didn't look like a cigar beetle but a wood eating beetle.. He was about the size of a grain of rice.. I can tell if he was eating his way out or in one of the little boxes.. The master box and everything around is going into cryo.. Again I don't think it was a cigar beetle, but first time I've ever seen a critter eating boxes!
Just check em out..

Thanks guys,
B

More: Doing some browsing online I'm thinking maybe an ambrosia beetle.. I know tobacco beetles can't and won't eat cedar..
Maybe a wood working expert, or someone that has seen this before can chime in..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please forgive my slop.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Guys just as a heads up, I opened a master case of old man and the C today, there was a beetle inside and a few holes and saw dust from the little boxes, the box was from NHC from I guess about a month ago..

I saw him and smooshed him good.. Didn't look like a cigar beetle but a wood eating beetle.. He was about the size of a grain of rice.. I can tell if he was eating his way out or in one of the little boxes.. The master box and everything around is going into cryo.. Again I don't think it was a cigar beetle, but first time I've ever seen a critter eating boxes!
Just check em out..

Thanks guys,
B

More: Doing some browsing online I'm thinking maybe an ambrosia beetle.. I know tobacco beetles can't and won't eat cedar..
Maybe a wood working expert, or someone that has seen this before can chime in..

Pete just crapped himself with this post...

BrandonJ

I <3 Eric.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I hope he didn't.. This shit happens.
Better than treating the wood with pesticides I imagine! :D

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Shit Craig, knew I should have elaborated.

Certain kinds of beetles will leave behind a color on the exit hole when they come out of the wood. Most times it's about the only way to ID what it actually is.

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Shit Craig, knew I should have elaborated.

Certain kinds of beetles will leave behind a color on the exit hole when they come out of the wood. Most times it's about the only way to ID what it actually is.
:wtf: :wtf: Again

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hassan, I guess it's easy to pick at things like that. I took a state mandated license exam full of all sorts of comments like that. But honestly, IDing a species of beetle that lives inside of a product made of cellulose materials (wood in this case, as in the thing that comes from trees) is to see where it came from. It's not going to be a beetle that eats tobacco, but they may want to check their box production areas for problems.

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Just poking fun.
Your expertise is appreciated. Not the sort of thing I'd wish on anyone. I guess this would be the next worst thing for cigars. Imagine a lot of these eating their way through a humidor!

And for the love of everything sacred, Hasan is spelled with one s. :facepalm:

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Maybe it's one of thoes things like Tequila and the Worm? :scratchhe
[YOUTUBE][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrJwm7nq-E8"]Smokin A Roach - YouTube[/ame][/YOUTUBE]

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Not even sure what it could be. Definitely not a cigar beetle. Curious if it was a termite?
Could have found it's way into the box at any time and any place.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pete,
My guess is that its a wood boring beetle of some kind. The larva will actually live inside the pours of the wood until they hatch out. It happens, but I would tell the guys at the factory to check out the stock room where the boxes are assembled. Like I said before, it's not going to affect the outcome of the smoke,

Pat