What's new

In a blink of an eye...

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
well for me, (i only have 3 desktops) i just stick my humi's in the bedroom with the AC cranked. it keeps it about 66 degrees in the day and a little cooler at night. my rule of thumb is if i can sleep without sticking to the sheets and the ol' lady bitches about it being cold, my sticks should be sleeping soundly.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Good Luck Dave. I found that there was some changing going on in the Humi I brought with me to Todd's. Seems to have stabilized for now.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
or are you battling it year round?
We just dont get the swings you do in the east. Average is 65% to 70% here by the ocean. The only time it drops is when the Santa Ana winds kick up and the only time is rises is when it rains. and we all know............................................................................................... it never rains in Southern California

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Ahhh. I went from 37&#37; ambient in the winter months to now...where my hygro doesn't frop from 67% if I leave my cabinet open for 10 minutes. And it's only May! :grin:

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For some reason, the humidity in my humidor has been fluctuating between 61&#37; and 70%.

I have twice the amount of 65% RH beads needed for the volume in the humidor, so I don't understand why it's moving that much. That much movement won't cause any damage, will it?

I haven't tested the hygrometer accurately, 'cause maybe I keep screwing up the salt test somehow?

Uh.......... maybe I have a crappy hygro?

:dunno:
I had the same problem in the beginning. I finally figured out that I had the beads too saturated. They weren't able to stabilize the r/h because I had 'em too wet. After I let them dry out a little, the r/h was rock solid! Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

John

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
You use an XL in a cooledor?
No sir. The wine cooler has the Oasis and 1lb. of 65% beads from Heartfelt. The Oasis replenishes the RH very quickly when the unit seems to suck up the RH. The beads take up any excess and work good to keep the RH in check during the dryer winter months as the wine cooler gets unplugged when cold outside. The coolidors have nothing but 1.5 lbs of kitty litter thru summer last year and have been virtually maintenance free (like your's are).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem in the beginning. I finally figured out that I had the beads too saturated. They weren't able to stabilize the r/h because I had 'em too wet. After I let them dry out a little, the r/h was rock solid! Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

John
Thanks for that! After reading that I went and made a visual inspection of the beads and both containers of beads were full of colorless beads. Not sure why that would cause dry air, last weekend the damn thing was reading %50 humidity, and I ruined two sticks when I put them in my leather cigar case.

Both cigars had the skins fall off when I took them out at the bachelor party I was attending. It was a bummer.

I thought the beads would be a "Silver Bullet" in maintaining control of my humidor, but as with real life, anything worth doing right takes a bit of work......

adodson

linux geek
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My desktop is small, and I use a drymistat tube or two. The temp isn't stable. In the morning, the room is cooler, the RH is dryer. In the evening the temp and RH are higher. Morning is probably 67 degrees / 60% RH. Evening is about 74 degrees / 67% RH.

Should I be concerned with this range? I've never seen any cracked wrappers or plugged smokes. (Never = less than a year I've had it.)