What's new

In a perfect newbie world....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK. Here's the question...

You are a newbie...a cigar "virgin" if you will...

You've got the perfect humi all set up and ready recieve some tasty smokes.

What would be the top 5 you'd start off with? Again, it's a perfect world so shoot for the moon...

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Nice choices Todd...I don't think you can give a wrong answer.

Boli CJ/Party Short/RASCC
SLR Serie A
Epi 2
VR Famoso
PLPC

I could give you a list of 20!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I wondered about the number 5, but it seemed a good "middle" number. 10 just seemed a bit over-the-top. And being of limited funds, 5 seemed to be the best fit for the wallet.

Keep 'em rolling in guys! Thanks for the input!

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Well, if this is for 'fantasy' world, I'd assign ages to the sticks as well. I've given the 5 Marcas I'd own but given options on vitola based on the inability to choose between the two!
10 y/o RA Coronas or PC's
4 y/o CoRo or Exquisitos
8 y/o MC2 or 4
6 y/o BBF or Cor Gig
15 y/o SS2 or 1

This is, of course, avoiding special releases altogether and assuming that the cigars will be smoked now in lieu of aging. It's also partial to my size range. I don't have too many times for HUGE smokes but I prefer something other then PC's or TPC's if I had the choice.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I would recommend trying as much as you possibly could before stuffing a humi full. I've really yet to come across a CC that I disliked strongly, but certainly I've found some fit my tastes better than others. That being said:

Boli No.2 A/T or PC
RyJ Churchill A/T (for the aging aspect)
CoRo
and two friggin' boxes of those El Laguito Factory Custom Rolled 01's that I smoked last weekend!!!:drool: :drool:

(Hey, you said in a perfect world, right? :thumbsup: )

BTW, I can't find my records of who gifted that to me, but whoever it was, thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooo much! That was an incredible smoke.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I know what I would purchase NOW. But that is after years of tasting tons of different cigars and knowing what brands / sizes I like and dislike.

If I was a "cigar newbie" again, I'd still go through the same process. So I'd recommend that you purchase only a few of each of the following brands from your local cigar shop.

Avo
Fuente
Leon Jimenez
This will give you a good flavor profile for Dominincan Republic cigars

El Rey del Mundo
Saint Luis Rey
This will give you a good flavor profile for Honduran cigars

CAO Brazilia or Gold
Mayorga
Padron
This will give you a good flavor profile for Nicaraguan cigars

Now go online and purchase some samplers of these habano brands ...

Cohiba
El Rey del Mundo
Hoyo De Monterrey
Partagas
Romeo y Julieta
This will give you a good flavor profile for Cuban cigars

After this, you should have at least some general preferences and can proceed to further explore the brands you liked best ... or more brands from the same country.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
H. Upmann:
Mag46
Super Corona

Cohiba: Robusto
Monte: #4 and/or #5

SLR/Punch: DC

V.R.: Famosos/Unicos

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nice post Tedski, I wish I had seen something like that when I started into cigars. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Brian, next time you come up to Austin we can try a few smokes on some of those lists. In my opinion, you are better served by getting samplers from here than getting sticks from places like cbid (like ebay for cigars). I don't be afraid to buy Habanos either. You can get some great sticks for close to the same price as NCs. I would also say listen to some of the guys that have been around for awhile (like tedski and some of the others that have posted). You also want to think about what you liked and didn't like about a particular stick. It can help point you in the right direction. Also, think about the time you will have to smoke, this will determine the size of stick you choose.

Mag 46
Montie #2
Opus X
Padron any of them, but the Anniversary series are great
PL PC or panatela
CAO Brazilia or Italia
Fuente short story

and the list goes on and on............

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From a relatively new "bie" as well...

Don't miss out on the inexpensive sticks that are really good (in my opinion) because if you're on a limited budget and just starting out these are nice and they taste better than some expensive sticks I've tried.

Flor de Oliva - anything
Trilogy cameroon

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Along the lines of what Hal said, make sure to try the Mayorga and NC Bolivar line. Both good, fairly inexpensive sticks.