What's new

In Praise of Ronson

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've owned a Colibri and 2 Xikar lighters and I had moderate success with them. I know about the lifetime warranty too. I often blamed their inconsistency on bad fuel (not quadruple filtered premium gogo juice), the altitude, or the weather and generally got by flicking my Bic. As part of my intro, Dave gave me a $4 Ronson and said it was like the energizer bunny so long as you can keep it in butane. Well, let me tell you this. I'm at about 6200 feet and am refilling it with some Iranian made butane and it is going strong.

You can keep you triple burner, 6 jet, gold plated, fancy whatever. Cheap works like a champ!

DR

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
You know I have owned a lot of expensive ass lighters and now I always use a cheapie most of the time. I would have to agree for the most part. I have never had luck with Xikar.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I have a box of broken Colibri lighters and I use my Ronson on a daily basis without any problems. You are 100% correct. Best lighter money can buy!

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
My Xikar has been replaced 4x and it sits on my desk needing to be sent back in as it doesn't hold fuel anymore.

My gift pack and event give away lighters keep going strong. HMMMMM...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
LOVE Ronsons!

I still play with my more expensive lighters.. Ive got a bugatti that I am fond of.. an Evertorch (thanks javajunkie!) that I've been using for the past 3 weeks as my daily, etc..

But I will always keep a half dozen or so ronsons on hand... keep one in the truck.. one in a "go" pack.. one in the desk drawer... etc.. I feed them cheap butane (normally either ronson fuel or zippo fuel that I can pick up at wal-mart or a local gas station.... and Ive never had one die on my yet...

LOVE Ronsons!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Unscrew it, pull it out, get a pair of needle-nose pliers, and rip out that spring under the button.

You now have a perfect lighter!

Love my Ronsons. I too keep them everywhere. Desk, both cars, garage, etc.

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
Youtube on the spring mod & allowing for larger flame control; however as Ninja mentioned you can just grab & remove the spring with a needlenose & not have to take the whole thing apart.

[video=youtube;VT9inGkgXm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT9inGkgXm0[/video]

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
I just spent a total of 2 minutes doing both of those mods to my Ronson and it's even more awesomer now.
I was having trouble with mine lighting consistently, but when it would light, I loved it. Now, it's firing like clockwork.
Thanks for the link Monsterdg.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been smoking casually for a few years (smoking seriously since we thawed back a few months ago). Have had a Xikar for years. Sent it back a few times.

My Ronson Jetline has been dropped, submerged, washed, and filled with crap butane. Still works. And less than 1/10 what the premium lighter cost.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting link on the video. I'm going to ignore it! While I love to tinker, my limited resupply ability tells me that the perfect is the enemy of the good in this case.

DR

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two ronson's and did the flame mod. Within a month they both won't "click" when I depress button.

If I bang them around a bit they will finally start to "click"

Anyone else have this issue?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Got two ronson's and did the flame mod. Within a month they both won't "click" when I depress button.

If I bang them around a bit they will finally start to "click"

Anyone else have this issue?
I mod all my Ronsons and I mod all the Ronson bombs I send out. I have never experienced this problem. In my experience they are bullet proof. I probably have 10 other lighters from cheap to expensive. They are all gathering dust in favor of the Ronson.