What's new

Indiana introduction

JFiz

What the shit man
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Greetings all,

I have been enjoying an occasional cigar for many years. A few of my friends invest a monthly house payment into their cigar collection. I have been lucky to be included in the smoking of some of those sticks. Hind sight I only kept a few bands...

I purchased my first humidor about 8 yrs ago as I wanted to be able to keep some cigars handy. It probably holds around 50-60. I would usually just buy a hand full when I was going to a party/bonfire to share with others. It's always been more enjoyable for me to smoke with others. I figured I was doing my share as my cigar buddies shared with me.

Just a few weeks ago I opened my humidor as per my weekly reminder set on my phone to check/add distilled water to my humidifier and discovered a tiny bit of mold. It's was really a stupid mistake. I had put a folded paper towel in the bottom and had added a little bit of distilled water to it as I was a little low on RH which if figured was due to the cold weather of winter. I had planned on researching humidification devices but was preoccupied. There wasn't a problem with RH as the analog hydrometer that came with my humidor was stuck at 62%. I know that after checking it with the salt, cap, water test. It didn't even move after wrapping it in a wet towel..

To get on with it, I examined my sticks and all seems well. It was just on the paper towel and a tiny amount on the wood. There was only a cigar cedar smell to the humidor. I took a cloth with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and wiped the entire interior of the box down lightly and left the lid up for 2 days. Then repeated. It looked fine and smelled like cedar.

That prompted me to get my act together. I had a few $15 and $20 sticks in there from my friends along with some that my wife bought me a few years ago that I wanted to save for a special occasion. About 20 cigars in all.

In the meantime I bought an air/water tight plastic food container for storage and added a 69% Boveda while I got the wooden box ready to re-accept my cigars. I picked up some Boveda 84% packs to season the box and a 12 pack of 69% for long term. I threw out my puck that I had. I couldn't help but get another dozen sticks to keep the box at a "better level" for keeping the RH in line. I also got a digital hygrometer and checked the calibration. I am usually really detail oriented but slipped on the humidor the last few months with a newborn brought into my life.

So, it's been 15 days with the 84's in the box and it's reading 79% today. The house on the other hand is reading 32%. It's understanding that it's taking a while for the box to come to terms with the house RH and considering that I used alcohol. I'm looking forward to getting my humidor back in commission.

I have spent the last couple weeks reading everything I can (in the amount of time iv'e had) find about proper storage and care of my sticks. That's what brought me to this site among many others.

I hope to learn more and further my appreciation for cigars and hopefully meet some good people along the way.

John

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Welcome

I think if you had wiped out the humidor with a clean towel and then allowed it to come to the proper RH you could have avoided the Isopropyl but if the alcohol odor is gone then you shouldn't have any further problems. Valuable lesson is if the humidity or temperature in the house is on the extreme side for any length of time you need to pay more attention to the humidor. That's the advantage of a well sealed tupperdor, it should be easier to hold the RH consistent.
Again, welcome to the forum!

JFiz

What the shit man
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well it's still reading 79% today. The Boveda packs are getting crunchy around the edges so they are out and I put in two 69 packs. I'll check in a couple days to see what the RH is and go from there.

John

JFiz

What the shit man
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well I"m back up and running in the humidor. It's probably a little too full. I need to figure out a more permanent solution with a tupidor and some trays. I would like to keep ready to smoke in the humidor and use the storage containers for more long term.

Temp solution:
MVIMG_20180113_102508.jpg

Back in wood:
MVIMG_20180113_103228.jpg

Thanks for looking,
John

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Greetings gs from East TN man! Seems like you're back on track. (y)

Are you in the hilly wooded are of southern Indiana?
There used to be a really cool elk preserve / campground / wine bar / event center somewhere around there. Had a blast at that place...

JFiz

What the shit man
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm not quite that far down. Near Columbus.
I've spent some vacations riding eastern TN. Johnson City area for 10 days. I have a buddy that lives near Morristown. I've spent some time around that area. Great riding.

French lick sounds like the area you are talking about.