What's new

Inflation

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't bought pipe tobacco in quite some time. I have kind of a lifetime supply at home and unless it is a novelty or a must-have replenishment, I just go to Aladdin's chest and pick something already at hand. I've got enough Escudo and Nightcap to last me till the foxes say good night.

I notice prices have gone up!

This morning I went into de la Concha, Sixth Ave @ 56th Street, bought a tin of Fox' Dorisco, a tin of Fox' Campanile, and a little sardine can's worth of Cornell & Diehl's Red Carpet ("The perfect blend of red Virginias and Périque, with a touch of Smyrna for interest, pressed and sliced into flake form") and the whole thing came to $51.66. I kind of reeled outta there!

Granted that there were some $4 worth of tax, blast NY State, but, at this rate, one might have to go back to smoking dandelion leaves as my cousin and I used to do back at grandma's!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta be better than cornsilk...
:yes:

In South America they smoke tobacco cigars with a cured corn-leaf wrapper known as chala.

The filler is usually a strong type of Burley and what is known as criollo (creole), a strong black tobacco which is the nicotiana equivalent of the mission grape. Milder versions are also manufactured these days, but the classic Chala cigar is not for the faint of heart!

It was the prefered smoke of the traditional gaucho, who pepped it up with Dutch gin, neat. Both have a cult following all their own, especially among the young in search of "authenticity".