What's new

Info on roasters?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, like I needed one more thing to get into...

Someone at work brought in some fresh roasted beans yesterday. Damn were they good! They said is was a Costa Rica bean. And now my memory has gone...something like Llano Barizo or Bonito, or something. Anyway, mighty fine – really strong body and aroma...a little bit of chocolate in there and a kind of fruit flavor right at the back end. The person who brought this in had this impish grin on their face when I commented that this was a damn fine cup of coffee.

I needed a cup later in the afternoon and called over to our snack bar to have them make up a fresh pot (management perks!!!). Yeah....my palette has forever been tainted!

So.....what all would one need to get into this little diversion of freshly roasted coffee? What's the scoop on roasters, etc?

Any help from you well-caffienated junkies would be greatly appreaciated!

many thanks

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I just got started myself! I must warn you it's every bit as slippery a slope as habanos!
I got a FreshRoast Plus 8 roaster. The batch size is small but that seems to be common with home roasters unless you want to pay hundreds of dollars. It's really just as well since starting out I need to experiment with roast times and such. Also, one of the joys of home roasting is having many different beans and roast profiles to choose from so I have a different coffee practically every day! Also, the roast time per batch for me is under 6 minutes (will depend on your voltage) and I got some extra roast chambers so I don't have to wait as long between batches for the equipment to cool. I can roast a weeks worth pretty quickly.
Oh, and the slippery slope I mentioned? In my first week or two of roasting I already have about 25 lbs. of different variety green beans (they keep a year or more when green) and I've decided to upgrade my coffee pot and grinder. I have a new Capresso Infinity burr grinder and a Capresso MT500 drip brewer on the way to replace my blade grinder and Black & Decker coffee pot. And if you don't have a French Press you'll probably find yourself buying one of those too. Luckily I've had one of those for years. Every day when people post their "Coffee of the Day" you'll see another bean you just HAVE to try so your green bean stash will increase rapidly.
You have been warned, but that won't stop you! So jump on in and keep us posted on your experience!!!