What's new

Intro From Maryland's Eastern Shore

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello one and all from Maryland's Eastern Shore - home of the Chesapeake Bay blue crab. I'm originally from a bit further south (Richmond, VA) where I lived til 1997. Been here in MD since then. I'm a retired jack of many trades (embalmer, power tool salesman, long haul dispatcher, bookkeeper, and hospital pharmacy technician.)

I'm brand new to the cigar hobby / passion, having just started last month (have smoked a grand total of 2 so far without finding anything I actually like). But nevertheless looking forward to learning from you experienced chaps. I know there's a lot more to learn than just cut, light, and smoke because I've already spent a TON of hours watching YT videos.

Anyway, thank you for having me here and long may the leaves ferment.

Dave

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, what did you smoke and what did you like/dislike about them, We may be able to recommend something you can enjoy

Thanks, glad to be here! The first one I smoked was the Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Robusto. It had a good draw, absolutely great burn, but it tasted like cardboard to me. The only note (if that's the correct term) I could identify was two "bursts" of pepper. I bought it at the recommendation of the kid who worked at the wine, beer, and smokes store (closest thing we have to a cigar shop around here). My next one (which I chose after watching a zillion glowing reviews of it on YouTube) was the Perdomo 10th Anniversary Reserve Champagne (Toro size). That one was cursed from start to finish. It cracked just before I started toasting the foot, had the most uneven burn I've ever seen start to finish, and required I honestly couldn't tell you how many touch ups. Spent the better part of two hours with it, tasting varying things which I couldn't identify except to say "bitter". Got slightly nauseated for awhile after finishing it. i know without doubt that some (if not most) of my experience with these sticks came from lack of pallet refinement on my part, but I'm still a bit leary which direction I should go next. After much research, I'm leaning towards trying a Macanudo Cafe, a Drew Estate Factory Smoke (sweet), and whatever else a really experienced smoker can recommend in the mild and / or sweet category.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You may have a problem with buying your cigars from a place that doesn't keep them properly stored. I've been working on a 5 pack of the Perdomo for a couple of years, good enough to not toss the rest of the 5er but not good enough to re-order.

Find a real cigar shop and have the owner recommend a couple of smokes to you. The flavors you mentioned and problems you had are indicative of dried out cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have a problem with buying your cigars from a place that doesn't keep them properly stored. I've been working on a 5 pack of the Perdomo for a couple of years, good enough to not toss the rest of the 5er but not good enough to re-order.

Find a real cigar shop and have the owner recommend a couple of smokes to you. The flavors you mentioned and problems you had are indicative of dried out cigars.
Thanks for your advice. I'm going to do just that. Looks like I'll have to do a bit of traveling to reach a decent one, but it'll sure beat having any more smokes like those first two - especially considering that Perdomo stick cost me$ 10.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
mid western lingo for crabs.

Did you know the plant next to my camp (Pontchartrain Blue Crab Company) sends semi's full of picked crab meat to the Maryland Bay Area. Next time you are in the store look at the packages for crabmeat.

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from North Idaho

Where we live there no Cigar stores within about two hours,and that one is a smoke shop that sells cheap bear and cigarets and has a small walk in humidor.
so I started buying Cigar samplers from on line places like Famous Smokes, they have a huge selection of them in different strengths
You can get a good variety at a reasonable price

But if there is a real cigar shop locally @Boudie is right get some face to face help. I know I would have loved to actually talk to someone when I made my first few purchases

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mid western lingo for crabs.

Did you know the plant next to my camp (Pontchartrain Blue Crab Company) sends semi's full of picked crab meat to the Maryland Bay Area. Next time you are in the store look at the packages for crabmeat.
Will do!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Everyone gets that one, but just for ya and your Maryland crabs...

LMAO!!! Thanks:giggle: Brings back memories from a decade or so ago when I was more ambitious and brave enough to try cooking something more sophisticated than burgers on the grill. I won't say how that turned on but.....let's just say I'm still flippin those flippin' burgers.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from North Idaho

Where we live there no Cigar stores within about two hours,and that one is a smoke shop that sells cheap bear and cigarets and has a small walk in humidor.
so I started buying Cigar samplers from on line places like Famous Smokes, they have a huge selection of them in different strengths
You can get a good variety at a reasonable price

But if there is a real cigar shop locally @Boudie is right get some face to face help. I know I would have loved to actually talk to someone when I made my first few purchases
Hello and thanks!! Your nearest smoke shop sounds a lot like mine, especially the "small walk in humidor" part. The best thing about it is the Spanish cedar smell; it sure ain't the selection. :) I'm glad you mentioned Famous Smokes. Being a total noob, I feel like I'm looking in at least 10 different directions at once trying to figure out which one to try first, which has free shipping, or best prices, or most importantly which packs the cigars best. I'm sure you've "been there and done that" at some point..lol. Thanks again for your input and I'm always open to more!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very belated "thanks and hello" to ya! Sorry for the late reply. . .just getting back home after a hospital stay. Sure could use a smoke right about now. .lol. Got a few here that haven't rested long enough, but that gives me somethin to look forward to.