What's new

Introduction and advice seeking

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello BOTL,
I just joined your group yesterday. I would like to introduce myself, and hopefully receive some advice, and answers on a few questions that I have. I started smoking premium cigars a year ago, and enjoy them better than the cigarette habit I dropped a year ago. I have read quite a few of the posts on your site and I gather that I could probably be able to come up with blend that I could be able to enjoy according to my flavor preferences. The questions that I have not been able to find an answer on is maybe a bit complicated,or maybe not. I am a daily smoker and I spend about 50-70 dollars a month on cigars, and I get anywhere from 40 to 50 cigars. My question is if I would invest the same amount on materials needed to roll my own like 1lb on wrappers, 1ld on binders, and 1lb on filler could I achieve the results or am I better off doing what I am doing? I prefer smoking cigars that are 40-54rg and 4.5"-6.5" in length. Any advice is well appreciated and welcomed thanks for your time whoever reads this.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Welcome from Chicagoland.

I don't roll my own. But if you're spending 50 bucks for 50 cigars, I don't think your own rolls could be any worse. Quite a few threads on rolling equipment and materials though, good luck!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Welcome, just to clarify, if you spend, as icehog mentioned $50 on 50 cigars in the size you said so you really can only go up.

I believe only the most experienced rollers achieve the results of higher quality cigars then are readily available on the internet. Access to quality tobacco is always an issue and it takes time to develop the skills to roll a cigar. It's a great hobby for many members but it's like me and fishing, I don't go fishing because it's cheaper then going to the fish monger.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, depends on the site, the deal the site might be offering, or if I win the bid, some sites offer weekly discounts on certain days. I don't get winner's all the time, sometimes I win and sometimes I get meah!!. I buy mostly bundles 20 - 25 sticks on my regular sites the prices per bundle 30 to 40 dollars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not trying to go cheaper but maybe develop more consistency, instead of being all over the place and tolerating a lot of stick's I may not care for due to the good deal. I am not afraid of the hands on stuff, I work with my hands daily for a living so I would put in the work to achieve what I want.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And smoking a stick or two of Bs that I created is a bit easier to deal with than dealing with the fact that I paid for a whole bundle of Bs from someone else

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You shouldn't have to tolerate a cigar, they should be that hour or two of your day that you set aside to relax and enjoy a smoke.

I understand as a new ex-cigarette smoker you're probably looking for a nicotine kick more than anything else but a good cigar is so much more then that. A two dollar cigar will scratch the nic itch just like a six dollar cigar. If you hang around a while and participate in the forum I'm sure there are many of us that will be happy to pass along some of those itch scratchers.

Try posting a thread asking about inexpensive cigars. There are some good ones out there, you just have to find them

Fisherclive gave you good link to learn about rolling.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can honestly say that I have smoked some good inexpensive sticks and some not so good inexpensive ones. I have also had some good pricier sticks and some not so good pricier sticks. The last year I have come to know what I seem to enjoy like medium strength with a good flavor. The full strength stuff becomes a bit overwhelming and I can't enjoy the whole stick. I guess am just trying to explore the various avenues of this thing and see what is going to work best for me. I agree that cigar smoking is a time for me to relax and slow down. I was smoking about three a day at work looking for my nic kick. I now smoke one in the morning at the job and it brings a good balance to the day, and I may not smoke any at home.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Boudie, Fisherclive, icehog3, and Alwayslit, and sending a shout-out to the Motor City, and the Chi. My wife is from the Chi Southside!