What's new

IPA N00b suggestions.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I had my first IPA in like 5 years last night. I was already pretty drunk lol. And thought it was great. Today I decided to have another same kind as last night. However, sober this thing is so ridiculously bitter and kinda grassy? lol. Are they all like this? It's pretty hard for me to drink. Although the more of it I drink the easier it gets. Hahaha. (I'm on my second one.) so my question is are there any IPAs you'd recommend for someone new to IPAs to try. I'm new to craft beers in general.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You guys have such better access to beer than we do up here, but there are a few local IPAs that I really enjoy. Muskoka Brewery's Mad Tom IPA is probably my favourite. If I lived in the States though I'd be a huge fan of anything I could get my hands on from Dogfish Head
This could be the beers talking but I think you just asked me to send you some dogfish head IPAs. Which I think will be doable if I can find them. :)

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
All of them.

ALL OF THEM!

I'm not a huge beer guy (I'm allergic to alcohol so I can only drink in very small quantity, so I generally stick to stuff like scotch), but I do love IPAs. A few I really like:

Racer 5
7 Seas Rude Parrot
Ninkasi Total Domination IPA

And it's a totally different animal, but I really like 21st Amendment's Back in Black dark IPA

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
LOL....Nope they all taste like that or worse, HA! I enjoy an IPA now and then but the first drink gets me every time. I'd say Seirra Nevada Torpedo is on the milder side for some of these full hop IPA's everyone is putting out these days, but I know others will have some great suggestions as well. I still prefer a good Stout or Porter. you can also look for an IBU (international bitterness units) number on most craft beers, IPA's range from 60IBU to 120IBU.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Some flavors you can get from IPAs -

Skunk-ass
Grass
Weed/Marijuana
Grapefruit
Citrus in general
Pine
Juniper

It is correlated to the Hop varieties used in the brewing process.

If your IPAs are too bitter, but you really feel compelled to drink them, start with the maltier ones (like Dogfish Head) or even just drink Sierra Nevada Pale Ale....Also, Unita Hop-notch and New English Trooper's Tipple, are two beers available in the west that are not as "Hop forward" as most.

Once you get used to the bitterness, then you can work your way over to the less malty/crisper flavors of Green Flash West Coast or Ballast Point Sculpin.

Then jump off into the Double IIPA sillyness...

Rating - 100%
66   0   0

Skunk-ass
Grass
Weed/Marijuana
Grapefruit
Citrus in general
Pine
Juniper

If your IPAs are too bitter, but you really feel compelled to drink them, start with the maltier ones (like Dogfish Head) or even just drink Sierra Nevada Pale Ale....Also, Unita Hop-notch and New English Trooper's Tipple, are two beers available in the west that are not as "Hop forward" as most.

Once you get used to the bitterness, then you can work your way over to the less malty/crisper flavors of Green Flash West Coast or Ballast Point Sculpin.
Hops are actually in the same family as marijuana.... just minus the THC.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Skunk-ass
Grass
Weed/Marijuana
Grapefruit
Citrus in general
Pine
Juniper

Then jump off into the Double IIPA sillyness...
I swear to god when I put grassy I wanted to say it tastes like pot. But I didn't want to sound crazy!

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
LOL....Nope they all taste like that or worse, HA! I enjoy an IPA now and then but the first drink gets me every time. I'd say Seirra Nevada Torpedo is on the milder side for some of these full hop IPA's everyone is putting out these days, but I know others will have some great suggestions as well. I still prefer a good Stout or Porter. you can also look for an IBU (international bitterness units) number on most craft beers, IPA's range from 60IBU to 120IBU.
I was actually planning on texting you for advice on other craft beers to try lol!

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Troegs perpetual IPA is always in my regular rotation....dogfish head makes a Couple good IPA...Ballast point Sculpin is some good stuff...Victory headwater is a decent American pale ale....but I think it was said best earlier by stogieNinja, "ALL OF THEM" There is so many........now I'm thirsty!

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
You guys have such better access to beer than we do up here, but there are a few local IPAs that I really enjoy. Muskoka Brewery's Mad Tom IPA is probably my favourite. If I lived in the States though I'd be a huge fan of anything I could get my hands on from Dogfish Head. Bells Brewery's Two Hearted Ale is something I'll also grab every time I'm in Michigan.
only great thing ever to come outta that state up north

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I highly recommend Dirt Wolf. Its not just because I'm one of the guys that clarifies and dry hops it either. Sort of like the Bosley adds, I'm a customer myself!

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
I'm generally not a huge IPA guy, prefer wheat beers and things of that nature. But I love me some dogfish head 120 minute. Stuff is hard to beat to me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
French Broad Brewing Rye Hopper
Dogfish head 90, 120 if you can get it in your state
Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale
Terrapin Rye