What's new

IPCPR Review: La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Ashton brought out a new line of cigars for their La Aroma de Cuba brand. Once again, "Don Pepin" Garcia was called upon to blend and roll the cigar at the My Father Cigars factory in Esteli.

The Mi Amor features a cuban-seed Mexican wrapper, and a blend of Nicaraguan tobacco. The cigars have a slight box press. It is now available in 5 sizes: Robusto (5x50), Magnifico (6x52), Belicoso (5 1/2 x 54), Churchill (7x50) and Valentino (5 3/4 x 58).

The LADC Mi Amor has a dark, toothy, slightly oily wrapper, with a few little veins. The construction is very solid, and is topped with a perfect triple cap. Pre-light, this cigar has the flavor of cocoa.

The first third of the cigar has a strong cocoa flavor. There is also a strong pepper, as there is with most Pepin blended cigars, on the tongue and at the back of the throat.

The second third of the Mi Amor had flavors of roast coffee and light cocoa. The pepper, although still present, had calmed down some.

Wood and leather were prominent in the final third. The pepper began to pick up again as well. There were also notes of coffee and cedar.

Now I didn't pick up on this flavor while actually smoking the Mi Amor, but I was able to taste green pepper on my tongue for quite some time after I finished. Personally, I found this quite enjoyable, as I love green peppers.

The burn was solid and produced a light gray, tight ash. Overall burn time for this robusto was 90 minutes.

This cigar was talked about quite a bit at IPCPR. Quite frankly, I am not surprised. I think it is a fantastic cigar, and out of the ones that I smoked at the actual show, this one is in my top 3.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Thanks for the great review, Jere. I was holding off buying these until i read some reviews, but after reading this i'm calling up my b&m right now.

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I got that same green pepper taste! I on the other hand, didn't dig that flavor at all. It was kind of strange for me, glad you loved it!

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Great review Jere! I smoked my first one last night - I really found it similar to a Murcielago & Padron 1964. Had a good kick to it too! I'll definitely be smoking some more of these!!!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Great review Jere! I smoked my first one last night - I really found it similar to a Murcielago & Padron 1964. Had a good kick to it too! I'll definitely be smoking some more of these!!!
AJ--I was just about to ask how these compare to the Murcielago, lol. I suspect the wrapper is very similar. I LOVE the Murcielago Beli(only size I've had)--sweet & spicy is an awesome combo!

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Thanks AJ! And I agree, that is a pretty good comparison.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Jere, thanks for your review and pic's and for sharing your smoking experience! :thumbsup:

I got one from the Ashton Rep Monday and it is a damn good smoke! :cbig:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I didn't get to try one...even though I had my hands on BOXES of them still sealed in cello that Larry was under direct orders NOT to open...:cryloud:

I seriously hope I ain't gotta wait until Sep 21st....:sadcry:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
You can't even TRY to tell me the look of this cigar (color, boxpress, double-band) isn't meant to invoke images of the PAM '64. If the flavor profile is similar, and you start to see some buzz about it, then you'll see a Top 10 cigar here just based on CA's hard-on for all things Padron :)

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Very nice review. Loved this cigar and was quite excited today. Got my shipment of them in today at the store and on the shelf. Belicoso to be exact!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You can't even TRY to tell me the look of this cigar (color, boxpress, double-band) isn't meant to invoke images of the PAM '64. If the flavor profile is similar, and you start to see some buzz about it, then you'll see a Top 10 cigar here just based on CA's hard-on for all things Padron :)
hmm yeah that wrapper looks eerily familiar... maybe the rumors about the Padrons using mexican wrapper are true.

oh and thanks for the review.. and nice man cave. :thumbsup:

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
the murcielago was kind of the initial step into the mexican wrapper. mixed reviews at best.
as good as the mi amor is, you can bet that mexican wrapper is gonna be the next hot ticket and we're gonna see it in use a lot more!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the murcielago was kind of the initial step into the mexican wrapper. mixed reviews at best. as good as the mi amor is, you can bet that mexican wrapper is gonna be the next hot ticket and we're gonna see it in use a lot more!
what?

The Murcielago rolled by EO Brands was "kind of the initial" step?

If that was the initial step, what were the cigars released back in 2002?

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
what?

The Murcielago rolled by EO Brands was "kind of the initial" step?

If that was the initial step, what were the cigars released back in 2002?
Murcielago (EO Brands) and La Aroma de Cuba (Ashton) are rolled by Pepin's My Father Cigars. Murcielago is the first cigar they have done with a Mexican wrapper....thus the initial step. The next step being the new LADC Mi Amor. That is what Bob meant. What do you mean?

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Had one of these in KC this last weekend with Bob. Tasty :thumbsup:. Didn't get a big pepper flavor and no green pepper aftertaste though.

Dan

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you mean?
Discussing the San Andres Wrapper like it is a "new" discovery.

THAT is what is being discussed.

Nevermind the MILLIONS of cigars that have been rolled with the wrapper, no, because the wrapper has JUST NOW come out of Pepin's factory, it FAILED to exist prior to the Murcielago?

THAT is what I meant.

you can bet that mexican wrapper is gonna be the next hot ticket and we're gonna see it in use a lot more!
A wrapper that has been cultivated for G-d knows how long in Mexico is just NOW going to be the hot ticket?

Wow, guess we should warn the Turrent family of Nueva Matacapan Tabacos S.A and the Ortiz family of Puros Santa Clara S.A. (as well as every other cigar maker currently using it), now, shouldn't we?

THAT is exactly what I meant.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Last edited: