What's new

iPhone users - MobileStogie vs. iCigar

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an iPhone and just recently a few apps showed up for cigar smokers. I downloaded MobileStogie a few weeks ago and started using it to track which cigars i had and to make a shopping list for future purchases. The database is not complete but it is fairly easy to add new cigars.

now today I found out that one called iCigar was release last week. Now i have to decide if i want to pay for another app that might be the same or even worse than the one i am using.

Just wondering if anyone has tried (or is planning to try) iCigar

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MobileStogie isnt too bad, has a large database preloaded and new brands/blends/sizes can be added fairly easily.

you can set up mutiple humidors and a wish/shopping list.

the biggest negative is the fact that it takes about 10 taps to remove or add a cigar to your humidor.

Say i decide to smoke a Lot 23 tonight and want to maintain and accurate quantity in my humidor, I have to open the program, select "MyCigars", select the humidor, select cuban or non-cuban, select the brand, select the particular type, select the the size, then tap edit then the new #, then save, then done.

seems like thier could be an easier way to add or subtract a cigar(s) from an establised inventory.

there is a section for notes as well as a numerical rating, but i dont do much of that so i am not sure how well it works.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have Mobile Stogie but I've given up on it. I find it much easier to keep track of my collection using a Google docs spreadsheet, which I can access on my iphone if I really want to anyway. It seemed like so few of the cigars I have were actually in the Mobile Stogie database that I was entering all of the info for every cigar anyway, and add to that the fact that anyone can enter information into the database, so I was finding quite a few errors. It would have been more useful if it contained more than just basic information about the cigars - if I saw something that piqued my curiosity, I'd have to exit the program, go into safari and do a google search, then re-open the program, which starts you from the beginning ... Just not worth it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I gambled the $4.99 on iCigar and i am disappointed, no way to create a "humidor" to track inventory or make a shopping list.

Very limited # of cigars although more are to be added. Also the list of cigar brands is not in alphabetical order

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am not happy with my purchase of Mobile Stogie. Like a previous poster said, its too much like work to delete a cigar from your inventory when necessary, and adding brands is a PITA too.. I think I'll go back to my old ways, and just say screw it and smoke anything I want and not keep track of it :)
Scott

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
MobileStogie isnt too bad, has a large database preloaded and new brands/blends/sizes can be added fairly easily.

you can set up mutiple humidors and a wish/shopping list.

the biggest negative is the fact that it takes about 10 taps to remove or add a cigar to your humidor.

Say i decide to smoke a Lot 23 tonight and want to maintain and accurate quantity in my humidor, I have to open the program, select "MyCigars", select the humidor, select cuban or non-cuban, select the brand, select the particular type, select the the size, then tap edit then the new #, then save, then done.

seems like thier could be an easier way to add or subtract a cigar(s) from an establised inventory.

there is a section for notes as well as a numerical rating, but i dont do much of that so i am not sure how well it works.
I just smoke the sum bitches, no way in hell I'm deleting a cigar from my inventory every time I burn one, that's just to much work and takes the fun out of it.

PuffingRob

Always Busy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good post. I was just starting to look into some mobile apps. Maybe I should just make my own?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw. Currently MobileStogie is crashing out on iPhone 3.0 software... you can add all you want to your humidor but it crashes the moment you try to view it... they have a fix in to Apple but no eta as of yet...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Mobile Stogie but I've given up on it. I find it much easier to keep track of my collection using a Google docs spreadsheet, which I can access on my iphone if I really want to anyway. It seemed like so few of the cigars I have were actually in the Mobile Stogie database that I was entering all of the info for every cigar anyway, and add to that the fact that anyone can enter information into the database, so I was finding quite a few errors. It would have been more useful if it contained more than just basic information about the cigars - if I saw something that piqued my curiosity, I'd have to exit the program, go into safari and do a google search, then re-open the program, which starts you from the beginning ... Just not worth it.
I am not happy with my purchase of Mobile Stogie. Like a previous poster said, its too much like work to delete a cigar from your inventory when necessary, and adding brands is a PITA too.. I think I'll go back to my old ways, and just say screw it and smoke anything I want and not keep track of it :)
Scott
I have mobile stogie, and while I like it, it does have a way to go to make it truly great...

~brooks
Hey guys, I'm the author of Mobile Stogie, and appreciate the feedback posted here. I am continuing to work on new features, and would greatly appreciate ideas / suggestions of ways to improve it. I know it can stand a fair amount of improvement, and I figure people who have actually used it can probably best suggest ideas to make it better. This is my first attempt at true software development, so it's a bit of a learning curve (not to mention I have a day job, so don't have a lot of time to work on it).

Clearly I'll never make everybody happy with this type of app, but I'm willing to listen to your ideas.

Cheers!

tenuki

Maduro Maniac
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
+1 for Mobile Stogie - it's exactly what I need and I use it everyday.

To the developer - thanks, the last update with export list to cvs via email and nav improvements was most appreciated, all the features I was silently wishing showed up magically! :)

I also use the puff.com app so I have easy access to those reviews while at the B&M. My style is to go in to the B&M once a week or so and pick up a few cigars to sample. I probably never have more than 50 or so cigs in my two humidors at a time. When I smoke I have my iphone with me, it's no trouble to find the cigar in my inventory and press 'smoke one' and the review/rating feature is nice so I can remember if I liked it or not.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Mobile Stogie - it's exactly what I need and I use it everyday.

To the developer - thanks, the last update with export list to cvs via email and nav improvements was most appreciated, all the features I was silently wishing showed up magically! :)
Glad you like the new version. Currently working on:

- Cuban cigar listings organized by 'current production', 'special release', and 'discontinued'
- Move from Wish List to humidor
- Search capability (!)

Likely release in a couple of weeks :skew:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Stay away from the iWife app. All it does is constantly remind you how much you spent on cigars this month. Believe me, I just got reminded!

tenuki

Maduro Maniac
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Stay away from the iWife app. All it does is constantly remind you how much you spent on cigars this month. Believe me, I just got reminded!
:glassesgr hahaha, but the other iWife functions make up for it, right? ;) You just need to purchase the iFlower and iDoHousework apps and the iNag function of iWife is turned down to a tolerable level.

@Ken - search would be awesome - adding auto complete search ( start typing and it starts searching google style ) to all the input fields would be fantastic. Also, I sadly won't be dealing with cuban cigars ever, so having that separation at the top lvl is just adding a click to anything I do, wish I could just remove it. Anyway, great little app, thanks!