What's new

iPod Update Unknown Error 1417 on iTunes7 fix

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
For those with iPods
One of the things that bothered me about iTunes7, is that even though it has a great interface for managing the iPod, I couldn't get it to update my first gen iPod Nano to the 1.2 firmware due to an unknown error in 1417. But now, thanks to the admin of Chernick.org I now can.
Here are the steps you have to follow:
1)Plug in your iPod and wait for iTunes to tell you an update for it is available
2)Click the Install button on that dialog and keep an eye on your iPod
3)When your iPod screen switches from the flashing "Do Not Disconnect" message to the Main Menu screen, unplug the iPod, wait a couple SECONDS, plug the iPod back in
4)You should notice some slow-down in the progress meter and a new dialog box should come up and tell you your iPod is being updated and to not disconnect it until the update finishes
5)That's it. Wait for the update to finish and iTunes will re-recognize it and show its new up-to-date status.​
So, as you can see, Apple's software features software bugs just like any other. The difference is that they don't have to waste time fixing vulnerabilities as much as those that develop software for Windows, and so they can focus on bringing more features and making everything more visually appealing.
But I'm certain that somewhere in Microsoft's main building, some chair throwing CEO is happy about the bits of negative attention iTunes 7 is getting right now.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Don't know shit about them...I just use the ones that came with it as I only really use them for podcasts at work

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I got a pair on Altec Lansing inMotion ear buds for $62 on amazon and they are pretty damn good. They use Etymotic technology but are manufactured by Altec Lansing. They also use the same tips as most of the shure earbuds so you can get replacements.