What's new

Is 3 x 60 around the corner?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Just saw the monster has a 4 x 60 Gran Habano. CI has a 4.5 x 60 on the Joe's daily.

Is 3 x 60 the next frontier for cigars??? :chat:

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I hope not, I like the 4SIXTY from 262 but Id prefer it to be at least an inch longer. Not a big fan of the nub sizes and definetly wouldnt be a big fan of an even stumpier nub.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Just like with everything else, there will be people who smoke 'em. I doubt that the whole industry is going to go on a 3x60 bender or anything, but you might see 'em. It's not really a stretch when you consider that the Nub 358s are only 3/4 an inch and 2 ring gauges off the mark. When the Nubs came out they were different and the idea was novel, but now...well now everyone and they're grandma are churning out massive short sticks and I'm not really sure the blends are suited for that size (sure not going to smoke 'em all just to find out).

Dan

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
wasting tobacco with every cigar.
I pretty much agree. I mean, if you don't smoke the last inch of the cigar, then a 1" x 60 peice of nub is much more of a waste than a 1" x 42 nub (I mean nub, not NUB).

That said, I do love the DPG Firecracker! It may seem like a gimmick or a waste (arguments can be made), but it's a delicious 30-minute cigar!

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I hope this is just a fad, but i remember when i first started smoking i liked the larger ring guage, but the more i smoked i realized that i get more flavors and enjoyment from the smaller ring guages. yes the 60rg has it's market but its a small market, i'll begin to worry when 44-48 rg start dissapering.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Whoever said girth is where it's at? A 3 inch cigar would barely get you into the 'meat and taters' before you'd have to end it. It's got to have at least 5 inches or else you're just going to walk away unsatisfied....I'm thinking that is what the poster says at the Mustang Ranch.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Anything over 48 is a shame! larga vida a la corona gorda!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like large ring cigars, but I want them in 5-6 inch lengths. Keep in mind they are not my everyday size, but I do like them and hope they are always available.

I never see them as a waste, since that is a personal choice issue - I often toss cigars I've only burned half-way through due to time restraints. If I have enjoyed the time I spent with that particular cigar, the portion tossed is not wasted.

stephen_hannibal

stephen_hannibal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like large ring cigars, but I want them in 5-6 inch lengths. Keep in mind they are not my everyday size, but I do like them and hope they are always available.

I never see them as a waste, since that is a personal choice issue - I often toss cigars I've only burned half-way through due to time restraints. If I have enjoyed the time I spent with that particular cigar, the portion tossed is not wasted.
Well said. The 60rg works for some blends and doesn't for others.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few quick comments:

1] I might not like these fireplugs, you may not like these fireplugs, but as long as someone does with a wallet they will be made.

2] From a manufacturer's view they are great cost recovery product. We end up with a lot of great second cuts and small capa that cannot make robusto vitolas and up - the market will not absorb the number of petite coronas necessary to utilize this high quality leaf, so being able to make it into premium grade fireplugs is perfect.

3] Since fireplugs garner greater sales volume and profit margin than coronas they are definitely a good product from the manufacturer's standpoint.

4] Now here is why they are good for YOU even if you hate the shape:

All cigars in a factory are interrelated production wise - you can not make big cigars unless you make little, you can not make great cigars unless you make mediocre cigars, you can not make beautiful oscuro cigars unless you make mottled ugly ones and on and on.

You must make all cigars because any factory that producing more than a couple thousand sticks a day must buy their tobacco in proportion to what the crop delivers, ie. good, bad, great, ok, large, small, broke, wind swept, etc etc tobacco - or if you are a big factory like ours, you often have to buy the entire crop "as is".

You can't just buy fab tobacco, you must buy it all and then it is your job as the manufacturer to sort it all out, ferment it, sort it, ferment it, sort it, sort it, sort it... literally we will sort a crop purchase 30 plus times before each tobacco is finally designated to a particular product. So even when you pay $38lb some of it will end up on fumas...

The cost to manufacturer cigars is always a moving target, it is impossible to determine what any single cigar costs to make, everything is based on average yields, indexes, run rates and qc filter rejections rates... heck the cost isn't the same from day to day. It drives the beancounters totally crazy... that is why I believe this is a terrible business for big Euro tobacco companies to get into - they try so hard to make everything work in a model on a spreadsheet and it drives them crazy...

The number of fumas we sell and for what price indirectly and directly impacts the price of every ultra premium we make.. Liga Privada is interrelated to LVH and vice versa, there can not be one with out the other.

So when a manufacturer can make and sell one of the premium quality fireplugs for a better price than if he had instead shifted that leaf into picadura for fumas, it helps to reduce the cost of other cigars in the factory, which in turns mean you favorite toro and double coronas cost less.

In short, you are the beneficiary of every cheap bundle sold, of every fireplug you hate the shape of and so on. So you may not like to smoke this stuff, but thankfully someone does, because if they didn't the cigars you happen to like to smoke would be SIGNIFICANTLY higher in cost.

I gotta learn to type less...

BR,

Steve Saka
Prez, Drew Estate