What's new

IS BOTL Frying?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
People just can't get it figured out...you don't drop a cold turkey into hot oil. Jezus.
Looks like they filled it with oil and didn't take into account the volume the turkey would displace. Oil pours over the top and runs onto the burner and woosh...sad thanksgiving.
PSA: put the turkey in the fryer when its cold and empty. Then pour water in until it reaches a safe level. Take the turkey out and scratch a mark on the inside of the fryer at the water line. Dump the water and fill with oil up to the line you made. Happy thanksgiving.

Oil fires are nasty. Be careful out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I love the rotisserie on my Weber too much to go back to deep fried. I just have to have the gravy. Stick a pan under the turkey with some Swanson's chicken broth. Toss a couple chunks of hickory on to the coals which are on the sides so cooking is indirect. Put a good size counter weight and I am able to cook 20lb birds with no problem. you do need to truss them up pretty good.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking about smoking one this year.. how long do y'all let it go for?
It really depends on the size of the bird. I smoked turkey legs for about 8 or 10 hours. A turkey breast took about 12 .
If I was smoking a whole turkey I would brine it Tuesday afternoon and start smoking it Wednesday afternoon. Depending on the size of the bird and your smoker temp it could easily take 16 hours or so. Please note I keep my smoker temp pretty low 220 to 250.

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Rotisserie sounds awesome. Do you brine first? Brine is a game changer.

I have used a season brine and it is great but now I just use a salt brine. My leftovers are going to make me some home made pot pies. I will cook a 24lb bird for just me and the wife and the rest should yield me 8 pot pies plus a few other meals.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
PSA:
Step 1 for frying a turkey.....
Buy 2 birds
Step 2 MOVE THE FRICKING THING AWAY FROM ALL BUILDINGS.
If it catches fire put a lid on it with a brick. You know the lid that you left in the box!?!? Yes that lid!
Step 3
Now that the fire is out. Check on the second bird in the oven. Remember to let it sit 45 mins before cutting once it's finished. You will thank me.
Jfire

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Had a little conference at my house last weekend and one of the kids that came brought all the stuff and fried a turkey. It was very good. Would be willing to do it again.