What's new

Is cigar tobacco REALLY that different from cigarette tobacco?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't smoke cigarettes. My nephew is trying to quit cigarettes and I told him to start smoking cigars. He'll save his lungs and smoke way less, but still get the nicotine. So he tried it. I gave him a CAO M-2. Taught him how to smoke it (told him not to chew the end after cutting it as I do :p )

THREE DRAWS LATER he was complaining. His face was VISIBLY reddened, and he was trembling. After the fourth draw, he let it go out and didn't relight it.

WTF? He is a 2 to 2 and a half pack a day smoker, but he can't handle a cigar?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
No wonder, that cigar is super powerful I believe.

Tobacco used for most cigars is a higher quality and is grown in different countries to give it different tastes and strengths. These is a large difference between rolling and aging fine tobacco leaf vs lower end tobacco that is chopped up and rolled between paper and consumed soon as possible. Beyond that, I am clueless and cigarettes are bad for your health.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I believe chemicals are also added to Cigarettes (something tobacco companies have been sued over in the past). Your nephew may also have had a problem with the amount he was intaking all at once, not too mention he may have been inhaling accidentally.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I lean towards nature. I would rather smoke natural tobacco as opposed to chemically enhanced cigs. Either way, not the best for you but I'm sure cigars are much better in moderation.

joshrich

4 strings and 9 fingers
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait...do you guys inhale your cigars? Cause I don't. I smoked cigarettes for 10 years, 2 and half packs a day, and I think if I inhaled a cigar I'd be on my ass in a heartbeat.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Me Neither. Every once in a while I might catch a bit of an inhale (typically if I'm doing something else and not paying full attn. to the cigar).

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
No inhaling for me. I've read somewhere that former cigarette smokers (I'm not one) naturally take in cigar smoke, even if they're not trying to, when they first switch to cigars. I know that when some smoke goes in my nose, my eyes start watering and I cough, so I'm pretty sure I'm not sucking any in when I puff.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Either that or he was inhaling the shit out of that MX2.
:yes:

Had to be inhaling to get that harsh of a reaction that quickly. As for the difference between tobacco. I would have to compare it to wine. There are good tobaccos and bad tobaccos, just like good grapes and bad one. The nicer stuff cost more and makes a better product. But they still use the cheaper stuff for "everyday use."

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
One more thought is that if he is trying to quit smoking cigarette, don't try to get him on cigars. Have him quit for about a year before taking up cigars. It would be worse if he were to start inhaling the cigars to replace cigarettes.

GWN

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
From what I understand, its the additives in cigs that are worst, eg whatever they put in to keep em burning if you put em down, unlike a cigar.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Cigarettes are engineered to deliver nicotine. They are inhanced to keep burning. Cigars deliver flavor with nicotine as a by product. Cigars are rolled with different wrappers, fillers, binders etc. Cigs are pretty much the same tobacco across te board with minor differences. CIgarette tobbaccos are chopped, dried and rolled to deliver the smoke quickly, efficently. Cigars draw slow, fast, medium etc. The go out if you dont puff.
Cigarettes are mass producted by an effiecnt marketing machine to get you to smoke more. CIgars are masterfully rolled and produced to give pleasure and an experience. 2 cents.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I don't know much about the differences between the tobacco in cigars and cigarettes, but I'm right with y'all on the inhaling thing. I smoked cigarettes for a year or so, and when I started smoking cigars I naturally inhaled. Now that I've trained myself not to inhale, I couldn't inhale from a cigarette I tried smoking a couple months back.

The only cigar that handed me my ass for inhaling was an Opus xXx.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
You mean that there is tobacco in cigarettes???
It's more like tobacco flavored chemicals ...

From what I've read, the average medium strength robusto has as much nicotine as 8-10 cigarettes, if you inhale. Still, I would think a seasoned cigarette smoker should be able to handle a cigar without much ado. But the amount of smoke volume delivered per puff is much greater with cigars and thus the nicotine hit per puff might be greater as well. So I think your nephew will just have to learn how to smoke a cigar without inhaling much ... or maybe smoke smaller / milder cigars for awhile.

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
...THREE DRAWS LATER he was complaining. His face was VISIBLY reddened, and he was trembling. After the fourth draw, he let it go out and didn't relight it.

WTF? He is a 2 to 2 and a half pack a day smoker, but he can't handle a cigar?
some reg smokers here may not have bad issuses with the mx2, but that is a serious cigar...my vote is that it was just to much for him as a newbie to cigars, ESPECIALLY if he inhaled it...

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I smoked cigarette for 15 years (quit several years ago)...and in my experience, I found almost *NOTHING* similar between the experience of smoking a cigar compared to the experience of smoking a cigarette.

But of course, that difference in experiences has nothing to do with the tobacco itself, as both cigarettes and cigars are made out of the same plant genus, Nicotiana. No, the differences lie in the processing and intended purpose of said tobacco plants....not the tobacco itself.

In pratical application, cigarettes and cigars have terribly little in common.