What's new

Is cigar tobacco REALLY that different from cigarette tobacco?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe cigarette and cigar tobacco are different even as plant varieties. I think (I'm not sure by any means) that cigarettes and burley pipe tobacco share the same parent tobacco plant. Cigar tobacco, I believe, is usually made from one or more different tobacco plants selected over time specifically for use in cigar production. (I'm really weak with plant classification, maybe they're different cultivars or something, I'm not sure of the term -- but the difference would be like CT Broadleaf vs Burley for example.) Steve Saka wrote an article on Black Tobacco in Cigar Magazine about a year ago that should address this WAY better than I can. But the differences don't stop there. AFAIK, cigarette and light pipe tobacco are usually rapidly cured and don't undergo the same kind of lengthy fermentation and marrying processes that cigar tobacco does.

My guess is that your nephew accidently inhaled a bunch of cigar smoke. I don't try to inhale but I do breathe in quite a bit of "second hand" or sidestream smoke when I'm in an enclosed space so that ain't so good either.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Yes, yes, yes! I know exactly which article by Saka that you're referencing; it was quite good....but of course, it was just talking about different varieties of Black Tobacco; for the most part, ALL cigars are made from Black Tobacco (minor varieties not withstanding).

But that too is far more differentiation than I was talking about; my only point was that they're all from the same genus of plant....which is to say, there's not enough genetic difference between all of them (50 plus, I believe) to make a hill of beans when comparing cigarettes to cigars.

PROCESSING and PRODUCTION are the big physical differences. :yes:

p.s. - thanks for making this thread, McDuffie! It spurred me to write my first two blog posts for the new, upcoming BOTL.org blog! :grin:

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
the mx2 is indeed a strong(er) cigar, but his reaction seems too fast to be solely caused by the niccotine or cigar itself for that matter. i've gotten woozey from a few cigars, but never while i was still smoking them, it always has come on after i put them down. maybe something else was already going on inside him and the cigar smoke just put him over the edge?

as for the differences between the tobacco, its like apples and strawberries: sure they're both fruit, but they are grown, picked, and consumed differently. to my knowledge, the tobacco used for cigs would never be considered fit for cigar production, even short filler ones.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yea it is much different... whether you want to look at the tobacco itself or just the addictive chemicals put into cigarettes... I smoke both.. not happily but whatever...

Cigars actually have flavor. but they grind the tobacco for cigarettes and then soak it in water where they add some chemicals and then they drain it and shred the tobacco again, now to about the size of what it is in a cig. They later spray the water/chem/tobacco shit back ontop of the ground tobacco and add some artifical flavors and then they get rolled..

It is something along those lines, I watched the history of tobacco on the discovery channel last week...

But I still would not inhale an MX2, I inhale a few draws here and there but no way the whole stick.. but there is a chance that he is like todd and thinks about smoking a strong cigar and gets sick...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yea it is much different... whether you want to look at the tobacco itself or just the addictive chemicals put into cigarettes... I smoke both.. not happily but whatever... ]

It's up to you to change that if you want to, Dude. (Although as to other issues I'm not one to talk.)

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
just my .02 cents here, but i smoke cigarettes. (about a pack a day) but i cant inhale cigar smoke unless its a very mild cigar. but even with the more robust cigars like lets say a Power Ranger or a kick ass CC. i dont get the experience that some of you claim to have. i most recently had a La Flor Dominica Double Ligero and from what ive heard and read, its a very strong, kick ass smoke. and even though it was a strong smoke, i didnt get the head rush or trembles, or any of that stuff.........

or maybe im Superman!!!!!!!!!!! :smokingbo

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Cigarettes are engineered to deliver nicotine. They are inhanced to keep burning. Cigars deliver flavor with nicotine as a by product. Cigars are rolled with different wrappers, fillers, binders etc. Cigs are pretty much the same tobacco across te board with minor differences. CIgarette tobbaccos are chopped, dried and rolled to deliver the smoke quickly, efficently. Cigars draw slow, fast, medium etc. The go out if you dont puff.
Cigarettes are mass producted by an effiecnt marketing machine to get you to smoke more. CIgars are masterfully rolled and produced to give pleasure and an experience. 2 cents.

I bet there’s a george carlin comedy routine in there somewhere…in his voices of baseball versus football - an all time classic!!

Cigars arrive in a stylish box!
Cigarettes roam in packs.

Cigars are sophisticated, classy, and stylish!
Cigarettes get rolled in sleeves and tucked behind ears.

Cigar smokers enjoy the company of other smokers!
Cigarette smokers don’t give a fuck who else is around.

Cigars come in all kinds of wonderful shapes, and colors, and sizes! Oh my!!
Cigarettes come in one shape, varying in size between a .223 and a .270.

Cigars are designed to burn slowly, so the smoker can enjoy the experience.
Cigarettes are meant to burn, and burn fast. It will not go out until it’s gone, leaving you wanting another, and another, and another…

Cigars won’t hurt you. Just make sure you don’t inhale. Oops!
Cigarettes will kill you. They plaster your lungs with guck, I mean, shit that won’t come off without a brillo pad!

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I bet there’s a george carlin comedy routine in there somewhere…in his voices of baseball versus football - an all time classic!!

Cigars arrive in a stylish box!
Cigarettes roam in packs.

Cigars are sophisticated, classy, and stylish!
Cigarettes get rolled in sleeves and tucked behind ears.

Cigar smokers enjoy the company of other smokers!
Cigarette smokers don’t give a fuck who else is around.

Cigars come in all kinds of wonderful shapes, and colors, and sizes! Oh my!!
Cigarettes come in one shape, varying in size between a .223 and a .270.

Cigars are designed to burn slowly, so the smoker can enjoy the experience.
Cigarettes are meant to burn, and burn fast. It will not go out until it’s gone, leaving you wanting another, and another, and another…

Cigars won’t hurt you. Just make sure you don’t inhale. Oops!
Cigarettes will kill you. They plaster your lungs with guck, I mean, shit that won’t come off without a brillo pad!

lol nice list.. i really like the line about cigarette smokers dont give a fuck whos around.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
a few more,,, add in! i'm cracking myself up!!

It can take years and years for a cigar to fully mature!
A cigarette has a life expectancy of less than five minutes.

Once the cigars are boxed, opening the box allows for even more wonderful aging! Can you say, wonderful aging?
Once the cigarette pack is opened, the entire pack will be consumed within 24hours, regardless of how much they ‘say’ they smoke.

Cigars need a perfect climate and humidity to properly age!
Cigarettes are just fine in a glove compartment at 140 degrees.

There are just so many cigars to choose from!
Marlboro