What's new

Is it just me?

Web

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
As I mentioned I'm still a newbie, but I read reviews and talk to folks and I see where some people can detect the different flavors, coffee, wood, etc. I do not taste these things when I smoke. I know what I like and can tell when something is smooth or bitter, mild or medium (I haven't graduated to complete full body yet) . I can detect different aftertastes in some brands from a strong tobacco taste or even a mild sweetness in others. I try not to drink anything that would overpower the cigar. I must admit I enjoy the ritual and the camaraderie I get from fellow enthusiast,plus when I have a cigar, that's down time for me and I'm finally getting a chance to relax. I think my (genetic) palette may be partly to blame but does this develop over time?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
You'll start to pick up more as you go, but the link Tegu provided will give you tips on what to do and look for. I picked up the leather flavor first and then the woody, spicey notes came out as well.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just you... I've been smoking for a while now and I still can't pick up leather as many describe at times. I can pickup earthy, woody, spicy, pepper, sweet, salt, nuts, chocolate and some others but even after 10 years I couldn't tell you anything about leather...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taste and smell more things! For my job (wine) I need to be able to pick out flavors/scents so I spend alot of time tasting things like two spices or herbs next to each other to identify them blind. It's very helpful for cigars as well.

-Pearl

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
It took a while for me to distinguish between flavors. I started smoking all maduro cigars since most of them have a stronger flavor profile (mainly coffee and cocoa). I pretty much burned out on maduros after that, but when I started to smoke some connecticut shade wrappers, I started to pick up on the leather, wood, and nuts. I still have a problem distinguishing from specifics, like different types of wood or nuts. Florals and fruits also give me trouble. I guess I just need to eat more fruits and smell more flowers.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got a great thread for you-

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=9072

A refined palate takes both a gifting of sense (clarity of sense? I don't mean to be negative), and work on the SKILL of tasting flavors that linger within the smoke.

The best way I have EVER found to pick out flavors is to, literally, taste the item you are trying to find. This may not mean chewing on your leather belt, but try getting yourself a piece of cedar or some cherries to munch on while you are smoking. Take a piece of cedar from your B&M next time you go, I guarantee that they have PLENTY to go around, and it's good chewin material that won't harm your mouth. Nearly EVERY cigar has some hints of cedar, and you should notice a heightened sense of that flavor as you are smoking.

Best of luck. Don't give up- when you begin to sense the other flavors in a cigar, a whole new world will emerge!

Bear

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It took a while for me to distinguish between flavors. I started smoking all maduro cigars since most of them have a stronger flavor profile (mainly coffee and cocoa). I pretty much burned out on maduros after that, but when I started to smoke some connecticut shade wrappers, I started to pick up on the leather, wood, and nuts. I still have a problem distinguishing from specifics, like different types of wood or nuts. Florals and fruits also give me trouble. I guess I just need to eat more fruits and smell more flowers.
This is a fantastic point as well. I don't know what you are smoking, but I would suggest lighter cigars that will be more mild on the tobacco flavors.

In fact, what cigar is it you are smoking that you would like to distinguish flavors from?

Bear

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
then that begs the next question... how important is it to be able to discern all the "subtle nuances"? you read reviews in ca and all the tastes they describe, but in the long run, so what? do you like the taste of the cigar or don't you????

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I was in the same boat, not being able to pick out the specifics, until recently. I just started taking small inhales and exhaling through my nose. Holy crap, what a difference in flavor.

Now i'll be honest and say that i can only do this maybe 10 times during a cigar, but i get a few inhales in at different points; i.e. the first inch, halfway, last 3rd, etc. I also have to concetnrate pretty hard so as not to get too much smoke or else i'll start coughing like a 12 yr old boy with his first cigarette. I've done that a bunch since i started, coughing that is. But the flavors you get are very specific and unlike anything you can get when just pulling the smoke into your mouth and not inhaling.

I consider myself to be pretty good with food, in that i can pretty much tell about 90% of the time exactly what's in a dish that im' eating. I'm about 60/40 on being able to tell when and how much of those foods are in put into the dish, but that's antoher point. This point is that i know flavors well and am only able to taste the black cherries, the peppers, the bittersweet chocolates andt he other specific flavors when i inhale.

In short, it makes all the difference and it has opened up an entire new world of cigars for me. Dont' get me wrong, i was able to tell a good cigar from a great cigar prior to inhaling, but now that i inhale i can really pick out the subtle flavors.

Oh, and i'm also now assured to die of lung cancer.

Web

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks everyone, this is information will be helpful as I continue to smoke more and more. I don't have particular cigar in which I was trying to distinguish the flavors, I was speaking more in general terms. Bottom line, when I have a good smoke, enjoy the smoothness of it, good draw, pleasant taste (whatever that may encompass) I'm happy. Seriously, how bad can it be when you're able to enjoy a good cigar, no matter if you pick out all the flavors or not?
:grin:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
then that begs the next question... how important is it to be able to discern all the "subtle nuances"? you read reviews in ca and all the tastes they describe, but in the long run, so what? do you like the taste of the cigar or don't you????
It's not important at all. It's just a fun little side hobby. If you like the over all flavor of the cigar, then smoke it and buy another. Who cares if you can taste the hints of citrus, with slight overtones of spanish cedar that meld with the flavor of italian kidd leather. It is after all just a cigar.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I still can't pick up on some the flavors while smoking, but what helped me was to read reviews of a cigar I was going to smoke, and try to notice the flavors mentioned in the reviews, after that I slowly began to pick up some flavors, but still can't always place some of them.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's not important at all. It's just a fun little side hobby. If you like the over all flavor of the cigar, then smoke it and buy another. Who cares if you can taste the hints of citrus, with slight overtones of spanish cedar that meld with the flavor of italian kidd leather. It is after all just a cigar.
Yessir. The first law of cigars. Smoke with you like, like what you smoke. If you are enjoying yourself, there is no big deal at all.

I find it fun to try and understand the flavors. I have always had a fetish with products that have subtle dynamic characteristics. It's why I enjoy scotch also. It's why I don't enjoy wines too much- they are too different. And don't misunderstand me, there are always flavors I miss and essences that I mis-characterize. It's all part of the experience! (and it makes it fun when you are smoking the same cigars and have someone to share with.)

Web, if you are up to it, post what you smoke next. I'd be interested to read what you felt about it and what others' responses are (especially if I can add my own!:))

Bear

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I smoke cigars because I like the taste of cigars. Sometimes I am pleasantly suprised by flavors I can identify. But if I like it, I am happy.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
believe me, i have NOTHING against trying to figure out all the fine points of a taste. i have always found it funny that when you read the ca reviews and they tell you about sour this and harsh that and grassy notes and charred leather, etc, etc and then give the cigar a rating that is "outstanding", it makes me laugh. just for grins, cover the cigar and ratings up and just read the descriptions and then decide if you would try them or not. then see what they are and what they were rated. and i realize that we all figure the ratings are based on advertising dollars, but these guys seem to be really full of it!!
i always go by what i read in these forums to decide if i want to try a new stick or not.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I like cigars for the basic fact that if all the kids are in my basement, I can light up a cigar and they clear out faster than if I just dropped a big ass fart.

Having the time to smoke a cigar in peace will help develop your palate and you'll eventually pick up the subtle notes as you go.