What's new

Is it me or my cigars...?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings BOTL -
I'm a relative newcomer to the world of cigars. I've tried a number of NC cigars, and have generally been underwhelmed except by a few premium sticks (Padron Anniversario, Opus X, Davidoff Nicaragua). While traveling I had the opportunity to try a few CC's, and I really enjoyed them. After a bunch of online research, I took the plunge and ordered a number of boxes of well-reviewed regular production CC's. To my great surprise and disappointment, quite a few of my recent acquisitions are downright gross! The disappointing sticks mostly seem to start with grassy/weedy, slightly sour flavor that is really unpleasant. The worst offenders are Por Larranaga PC, Monte Edmundo, and Upmann No. 2.
By contrast, I have really enjoyed several different Bolivar vitolas, Juan Lopez #2, Partagas D4, Monte No2, and Dip No2. All of these begin with rich, recognizable flavors - pepper, wood, coffee, chocolate, etc.
All of my cigars have 2015 box codes, so they are at least 1 year old.
So, what's going on with the nasty sticks?! Will they come around with time, or did I get some bad boxes? Or is my palate just off?
Thanks for your input!
mwaller

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Need more information, where did you get them, how long have you had them, how are you storing them, etc.

First, make sure you have a reliable vendor. If legitimacy can be verified, then it's really about storage. My money is on them being "in shock" from transit, too wet, or two young, or all three. Give them all a few months at <65%, and try again, I'm guessing you'll find improvement.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
overmoist.
store these in a dry box environment (60-62 %) for a month, out of the boxes.
you can monitor the actual RH while they are drying down.
If you can store them 1 level deep they will dry faster.
After a year from being made, they should be good, so it's probably just moisture.
Share a few pics.......of the boxes, bands, seal, and stamping on the bottom,etc.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more information, where did you get them, how long have you had them, how are you storing them, etc.

First, make sure you have a reliable vendor. If legitimacy can be verified, then it's really about storage. My money is on them being "in shock" from transit, too wet, or two young, or all three. Give them all a few months at <65%, and try again, I'm guessing you'll find improvement.
I have purchased from several websites that would appear to be reputable. I'm not sure how to verify my sources as I don't want to violate any rules on this forum.
All of the cigars were purchased within the last 3 months and have been stored in sealed plastic containers with 65% humidity beads or Boveda pouches. I have a hygrometer in each container, and they seem to be holding steady between 65% and 68% RH. What else can I tell you to help get to the bottom of this?
Thanks!
mwaller

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Based on that, I would say that they are just too wet and too fresh, and are unable to shed any moisture because they're in sealed airtight containers. Perhaps put in some dry desiccant (100% silica kitty litter) in there to absorb some of the excess moisture and lower the rH. CC's do a lot better at closer to 60%, imho. Then put some 62% Bovedas in and let them be for another 3 months and see how they do.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on that, I would say that they are just too wet and too fresh, and are unable to shed any moisture because they're in sealed airtight containers. Perhaps put in some dry desiccant (100% silica kitty litter) in there to absorb some of the excess moisture and lower the rH. CC's do a lot better at closer to 60%, imho. Then put some 62% Bovedas in and let them be for another 3 months and see how they do.
Thanks for the advice! Do you think I need to unpack all the cigars from their boxes, or can I leave them boxed? I have hundreds of cigars, so it would be a pain to unbox them all. But if that's what it takes....

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
Being that you new, i have no clue how new you are but if you have aquired hundreds of cigars, i would venture to say you are still a little new. You really need a little time before you can appriciate a good cigar smoke bad cigars and midiocure cigars and good cigars. Find out why you enjoy cigars in the first place. And cc's take quite awhile before reaching full poteintal. And calm down with the boxing everything

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that you new, i have no clue how new you are but if you have aquired hundreds of cigars, i would venture to say you are still a little new. You really need a little time before you can appriciate a good cigar smoke bad cigars and midiocure cigars and good cigars. Find out why you enjoy cigars in the first place. And cc's take quite awhile before reaching full poteintal. And calm down with the boxing everything
Hah! Touché....
So, that makes 2 votes for "its the cigars" and 1 vote for "it's me."
Thanks!
mwaller

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pics of the questionable boxes, and an image of my storage solution. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the PLs down and forget them until 2020 at least. Up2s, a little less. 2018ish maybe. M2s should be good to go after drying and a little rest. IMHO.

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
I wish I could put a box away until 2020...I'm not one of those guys who buys boxes to age though. If I was on another level financially maybe I would be laying them down for years but I'm a box every other month kinda guy. Honestly I try to give all my CCs at least 30 days to acclimate to not being on the road. After that I smoke them like they're going out of style. I've had a few bitter sticks ROTT but after that 30 day mark were on point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone who provided responses to my question! I pulled the humidifiers out of my storage boxes and placed a few loose cigars in an unseasoned humidor to see if they how they do. I just tried another MC Edmundo, and it was a completely different experience. The nasty sour flavors are gone now!
Thanks, guys!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Here are a few pics of the questionable boxes, and an image of my storage solution. Thoughts?
Those look legit to me, feel free to pm me your vendor to verify. Are those Monte Double Edmundos? That profile isnt for everyone, those need significant down time. Same with the PLs as others have stated. Id burn the Regios and Royals.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look legit to me, feel free to pm me your vendor to verify. Are those Monte Double Edmundos? That profile isnt for everyone, those need significant down time. Same with the PLs as others have stated. Id burn the Regios and Royals.
I have the regular Edmundos. I dry-boxed a few sticks for a while, and there has been been a marked improvement in flavor. Thanks for all the comments!
mwaller