What's new

Is temperature really a problem?

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
While I don't disagree with the last post, my cigars especially CC's had lots of issues when I kept them at 70-72%, NC's are all perfect at 65%-69% some are stored at 66-70 degrees others at 70-75 degrees. My CC's on the other hand still struggle at 65% (some great some not so much) and I'm now trying 62% to see if it improves, these are all kept at 66 degrees.

I was worried about beetles and mold based on what others said in this forum so I've invested in 3 wino's to keep my most valuable cigars under 70, however the ones kept at 70-75 have all been great and no issues so far. I can't say for anything kept over 75.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I never worry about beetles, regardless of storage temperature since I freeze ALL cigars before they are permitted to enjoy the comfort of my humidor.
I don't worry about mold since my RH never goes above 70% (I do check for mold regularly just in case some cigars were treated poorly before I adopted them)
My humidor is a perfectly sealed winador so there is no leakage. I don't bother with cooling so my temperature varies from 64F to maybe 80F on some days. I've never noticed any affect on the cigars which is why I asked this question in this thread.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Think about the temp in Cuba.
And the Humidity.
CCs are rolled,aged and stored before boxing.
And stored after boxing.
No Damage.
After the drying and fermentation process the tobacco is bundled and shipped off to a warehouse. I cant imagine that conditions are climate controlled in any step of this process. Brownouts would prevent that. Regardless, they were making cigars before the invention of electricity.
Once the tobacco is shipped to the factories it goes through a process of dehumidification to make the leaves pliable for rolling. This would suggest that the tobacco leaves do become dry in the warehouse phase of this process.

I've always tried to keep temps below the 75 degree mark and RH around 62-65%. I primarily smoke Cubans though so this may not be perfect for cigars from other countries of origin.