What's new

Is the good stuff better?

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I know this sounds totally newb-ish, but I need to ask. I have a few different kinds of tobacco I've purchased from the tobacco store such as Prince Albert, Captain Black, Skandinaviak, and some (I'm guessing cheap) generic tobacco. They aren't horrible, but there is not very much flavor and I really cannot get into it. I purchased a Dr. Grabow pipe and a cob pipe because I didn't want to invest too much into a new hobby.

My question is this: before I put it down, are these brands equivalent to swisher sweets and phillies? Should I delve a little deeper into higher quality tobacco? Will it make it a much more pleasurable experience?

Also, I see that many people steer away from aromatic blends. One thing that turned me onto pipes is the aromatic factor. First, the tobaccos that I have tried do not seem to be very aromatic; is it normal to smell the aroma yourself, or is that picked up more by others? Also, are there decent aromatic blends that I may try? Furthermore, do non-aromatic blends smell similar to cigar smoke?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
On the question about the tobacco: IMO, i started off with very basic stuff. And it was great tasting. It really helps you identify what you do and do not like. Then, after you get a good idea of what you desire, go out and buy some quality baccy. Then you can just keep expanding from there. What ive found with pipe tobacco is that to me, there isnt a huge diff. in quality between the good and the great.

just my $.02, good luck bro!

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I personally don't care for the Aromatics - but smoke what you like...
The practical problem with aromatics is that they tend to 'ghost' the bowl: they leave flavoring in the bowl. It's also the reason alot of guys dedicate pipes to different blends: anything with cavandish, burley and particular aromatics, etc.

If you have a clean cob kicking around - shoot me a pm & I'll send you some samples of what I consider to be quality blends... (I like a wide variety of Virginia, Perique, Burley, Latakia & Orientals).

Oh and to your original questions: IMO - Yes. There is a clear difference between premium pipe tobacco & 'non-premium'; As far as how it smells to other people: some are pleasant, some are not; There are definitely good quality (premium) aromatics: start with Lane 1Q (very popular) & SG Bob's Chocolate Flake... but like I said - I usually steer away from aromatics due to a syrupy quality that I persieve; finally - there are blends that are similar to cigars, but personally I feel that they are seperate things - I don't look for cigars that taste like pipe tobacco & I don't look for pipe tobacco that tastes like cigars. Just my $.02!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously, most people aren't complete idiots. They pay more for the good stuff because it's better. It doesn't mean that many, many people cannot enjoy pipe-smoking at a basic level.

To me, pipe smoking is a joy, not a contest. Smoke what you enjoy and what you can afford, and be happy with what you have.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I progressed from aromatics, through English, to straight Virginias and Virginia Perique blends. I find that the top companies, especially GLP and McClelland, really produce a superior product. It's worth paying a little extra and trying some different things.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good stuff is what you like. Some people love aromatics, and stick to them. Some don't like Virginias much because the PH doesn't sit well with them so they stick to burleys. Some people hate latakia or perique. I tend to take a different approach from most: I'll smoke the expensive stuff first, decide if it's worth my time, and then work my way down to a suitable middle ground.

Generally, I do the same with strength. C&D Pirate Kake? Too much latakia. GLP Westminster? Too mild. Esoterica Penzance or Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend or Chelsea Morning or Key Largo? That's in my wheelhouse.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Great info! Thanks For the thread Brian, I'm on aromatics right now and they were right it does have a bite!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Yes, PM your addy, I will send you a little sampler of some higher end aromatics.

The trick is to get lightly cased aromatics instead of heavier cased ones for less bite.

Also if you are having bite issues, smoke slower and check your packing technique and the wetness of the tobacco.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yes, PM your addy, I will send you a little sampler of some higher end aromatics.

The trick is to get lightly cased aromatics instead of heavier cased ones for less bite.

Also if you are having bite issues, smoke slower and check your packing technique and the wetness of the tobacco.
Frank warned me about the bite, but of course being new to smoking didn't know what he was talking about, now it's more bearable I guess Im adapting to it but I'd rather smoke something good without the tongue stinger!